New submersible pump will not pump water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I am glad you found the problem. I am sorry I did not mention that possibility, as I have had it happen to me a few times as well. Now that you have the system working, please come back here in a year or so if it takes that long, and let us know how that system is working. I am still sure you will have some of the problems I mentioned with the VFD system. I am waiting for a letter and some pictures of a Dairy in Canada, who replaced there VFD pumps with A Cycle Stop Valve a few weeks ago. Seems that three days after removing the VFD, milk production increased by 50% and the numerous sick cattle he had are already getting better as well.

Last edited:

drillit73

Reaction score
Hopefully the derrick truck is still hooked to the drop pipe....

A 3hp is a big pump for only being 400' deep. Why leave the 100' of water under the pump's inlet instead of setting it at 480 or so? You up at a high elevation like 5000+'?

I say lose the check valves unless there is none in the outlet of the pump. If there is not, then install one on the outlet.

I wouldn't have used galvanized unless I really needed the 3 hp pump and then I would have used sch 80 PVC. BTW, I've done pump work for customers for the last 20 years.

I can't help with the error, I've never worked on a variable speed/frequency pump; nor will I. I would have suggested a CSV being a much better choice.
You must not be a water well contractor not sure what part of the world you're in but drop pipe is usually 120 schedule and if somebody put in an inverted check valve you and get water regardless constant pressure pumps are the way to go my opinion an old school pumps with the 20 pound differential is a good way to go pens on the application in the folks but if you put it in birdy check airlock is not your situation is not getting any water regardless 25 years pro

drillit73

Reaction score
You must not be a water well contractor not sure what part of the world you're in but drop pipe is usually 120 schedule and if somebody put in an inverted check valve you and get water regardless constant pressure pumps are the way to go my opinion an old school pumps with the 20 pound differential is a good way to go pens on the application in the folks but if you put it in birdy check airlock is not your situation is not getting any water regardless 25 years pro
the three horse for 400 foot application is BS I got two wells that I pump 90 gals minute with a two-horse 7&a half just depends on the application

drillit73

Reaction score
the three horse for 400 foot application is BS I got two wells that I pump 90 gals minute with a two-horse 7&a half just depends on the application
I'm not trying to tell anyone there wrong just from my experiences and I'm pretty well experienced but I like to talk to more people and no I'm not always right I'd like to learn more but from that I believe what I said previous so if anybody like to talk more drill it at Cox at net

drillit73

Reaction score
With an inverted check if you would not get any water that's a typo on my reply you would not get water whatever to check its always good put a check valve every 100 -140'a check calve

Reach4

Reaction score
With an inverted check if you would not get any water that's a typo on my reply you would not get water whatever to check its always good put a check valve every 100 -140'a check calve
1. The posts you are replying to are all over 8 years old.
2. If you make a typo, you can click Edit and fix it.

PumpMd

Kevin
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing as speedbump, installed a check valve upside down.

I have seen the same thing happen, on the 2nd statement speedbump said about check valves as well.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yeah 8 year old post, I don't think John Moore is going to come back and read the new replies. But thread a piece of drop pipe with too many threads and screw it into a check valve and it will close off the check valve like closing a ball valve.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
I am glad you found the problem. I am sorry I did not mention that possibility, as I have had it happen to me a few times as well. Now that you have the system working, please come back here in a year or so if it takes that long, and let us know how that system is working. I am still sure you will have some of the problems I mentioned with the VFD system. I am waiting for a letter and some pictures of a Dairy in Canada, who replaced there VFD pumps with A Cycle Stop Valve a few weeks ago. Seems that three days after removing the VFD, milk production increased by 50% and the numerous sick cattle he had are already getting better as well.

50% milk reduction from a VFD? I may suppose since 2007 you have changed your ideas on this theory. Should the milkers not talk on a cell phone around a cow? :}

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Actually stray voltage is still a big problem for dairies. They have gotten better at filtering the electric noise from VFD's but it is still a problem. Other things like florescent lighting also add to the stray voltage problem. There is not much problem with the little VFD on the vacuum pump for the milking machine. But for larger VFD's like on the water pumps, each additional VFD in the area adds to and has an accumulative effect on stray voltage. Cows are very sensitive to electricity. They can tell if an electric fence is on just by putting there nose close to it. So a 4 volts shock from stray voltage when drinking water will keep them from drinking the amount they need. And since milk is just water that has been processed through a cow, if they don't drink enough water, they don't produce much milk.

All these electric filters also have heat loss, which decreases the efficiency. There have since been many more instances where replacing VFD's with CSV's has increased milk production as well as electrical efficiency. A lot of people still wrongly claim a VFD conserves energy. When pumps with centrifugal impellers need to buck a static head, as is the case with any pump system, decreasing the speed of the motor can greatly increase the power used per gallon produced. There is no more efficient way to pump water than to run a pump at it's best efficiency point using standard AC voltage with no electricity wasting filters or energy using VFD's.

A recent letter from a person with a small VFD pump system at their house just gave me some good statistics. He said over many years of use the pump had only consumed a total of about 1,000 watts of power when pumping water. But the tally shows the VFD's uses 40 watts when in standby mode. So over the same time the VFD had used over 4,000 watts while just sitting idle, just as any computer will do when in standby mode.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks