New Softner, Rusty Water

Users who are viewing this thread

ams

Reaction score
Just had a new softner installed. After its 5 day regen cycle, the toilets are very rusty. Have to flush6-7 times to get rid of the stained water.
Old softner (very old) wasn't an issue-tech said old systems had different chemicals that aren't allowed now.

Tried rust proof softner salt to no avail. Must I go with an Iron Filter now as well?
Thanks~

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Something else is going on here. Do you have a picture of the new equipment? Do you have a water report so we can see whats in the water?

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you said that you did not have a rust problem in your toilets for many years with the old softener. Then for 5 days after the new softener was installed, you still had no such problem. Then after the first regen, 5 days after install, you got an orange color in the water or particles that look like rust, in your toilet tanks and bowl. Did I understand correctly?

Did the orange go away after a bit until the next regen?

I presume that you have done several more regenerations, and the pattern continues.

I don't have an answer for you, but I wanted to confirm the question.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Just had a new softner installed. After its 5 day regen cycle, the toilets are very rusty. Have to flush6-7 times to get rid of the stained water.
Old softner (very old) wasn't an issue-tech said old systems had different chemicals that aren't allowed now.

Tried rust proof softner salt to no avail. Must I go with an Iron Filter now as well?
Thanks~
different chemicals that aren't allowed now.... That is BS.

Did you buy from a local dealer or online? If online tell us who so you can help others.

Is your water soft?

The first thing to do is to make sure the plumbing is not done backwards; inlet and outlet reversed. What brand control valve do you have? Autotrol is inlet on the left (non industry standard) as viewed from the front. That is different than other valves which is inlet on the right as viewed from the front.

The problem could be rust being removed from inside the plumbing by the softened water. Especially if the old softener wasn't totally removing all the iron for a time before you replaced it. Or.... you could be getting raw water because the distributor tube o-ring is missing or the distributor tube is damaged. Either would prevent the water from going down through the resin.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks