New Softener / Sanitizing Mistake?

Users who are viewing this thread

Denmar

Reaction score
Yesterday we installed a new Kenmore water softener, and the last set of instructions reads to place 3 oz of bleach into the brine well, run a manual regeneration, then once regeneration is complete run 50 gal cold water through a downstream faucet. Once this is complete, you can add salt and you are done.

Well.. the person doing the sanitizing step poured the bleach into the brine tank and then ran a manual regen, not the brine well. I am now left with a water softener that smells of bleach, and uncertain if the water is safe to drink. I've ran a couple manual backwash, and at least 2 additional regenerations, but I am essentially just randomly doing things... Looking for advice on getting this straightened out.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you have done the manual regen, run water until the smell is mostly gone.

Denmar

Reaction score
We aren't smelling anything on at the faucet, but the brine tank smells of bleach. Just making sure I understand correctly and posted clearly.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Depending on how much bleach was put in the brine tank, it may smell for awhile but the brine is only used to release the minerals from the resin and then the resin is back washed by your house water supply so you should not have any more than perhaps a trace smell at your faucets. In other words, run it, it's fine.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks