New softener purchase advice

Users who are viewing this thread

rss1978

Reaction score
I have read much information about sizing a water softener over the last few weeks...I just want to make sure I am on the right page before I purchase a new system. My current undersized Kenmore softener has died. I now want to upgrade to a good system. My specs are as follows:

Water system - well
Total hardness - 45 gpg
SFR - about 7.5 gpm from tub faucet
2500 sq foot house w/two bathrooms. Exterior faucets not plumbed through softener.
No detectable iron in water.
Four people in household.
Incoming water connections are 3/4" pex.

My calculations: 4 people x 75 gal/day x 45 gpg = 13500 grains/day or 94,500 grains/week.

Local plumbing supply business (who I would prefer to do business with) has systems with Fleck 7000 valves for 90,000 and 120,000 grains. Resin tanks both have gravel base and USA resin included. My thoughts are the 90K would be just enough and the 120K would be better. What is your opinion? Would either of these fit the bill?

The other option I have found is online from OWC. It was recommended as a two-tank Fleck 9100 with 64,000 grains per tank. I would upgrade to USA resin and gravel base. One benefit to this would be regenerating with soft water vs hard water. Would this option be better than the single tank system?

Prices are very similar on all, so that is not an problem either way. I would appreciate any advice you can give. If you need more information or if I left anything out, I will certainly provide it. Thanks for your help!

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
90,000 grain system from local guy would be perfect.

Actual system capacity is closer to 72,000

Your estimated weekly capacity is 4 people X 60 gallons per person X 45 gpg X 7 =75,600, close enough.

rss1978

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply, Dittohead. Your calculation has 60 gals/day/person. Other things I have read and my dealer says 75 gals/day/person. Why do you go with 60 instead of 75?

So the 90,000 grain would be about 6 or 7 days for 60 gal/day, but would the 120,000 be too much? I have that figured as about 9 days or so at 60 gals/person and 7 days or so at 75 gal/person. The reason I ask is the difference in price is only about $100. The 120,000 would allow for changes of higher hardness (since it is a well and if changes in the water occurred), longer time between regenerations, etc. But I know you can go too long between regenerations.

Again, thanks for your reply. I just want to make sure I get this purchase right!

Reach4

Reaction score
The larger unit would be slightly more salt efficient, even if you did not use your 75 gallons. So if you have the space, that would work nicely.

On the other hand the dual tank would be even more salt-efficient, but not by much. The single tank will have more SFR. The SFR included not just your biggest loads, but the loads that might reasonably be going on at the same time. While drawing a bath, you flush a toilet, and somebody is running the dishwasher or clothes washer.

rss1978

Reaction score
So Reach4, by "larger unit", I believe you are referring to the 120,000 grain...correct? You are correct...the SFR I included is tub only. If something else was running it would be increased. But I think with the 7000 valve I could have ALOT going at once and be alright. It allows probably more flow than my pump will even push. So your recommendation would be the 120K tank? I appreciate your opinion and assistance.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you really expect to use 75 GPD, yes. However 60 is more typical. I probably would go with the smaller unit, figuring that your 75 estimate is high. But since you are not sure, there is no hidden penalty for a larger unit when you have no significant iron. If the space and money are not significant considerations, then the bigger one sounds better. You have more than one right answer available.

Note that most places would offer "96000" and "128ooo". to represent 3 or 4 cubic ft. I think that 90,000 and 120,000 are an attempt to get closer to a more reasonable number, but Ditttohead's 72000 number (corresponding to 24000 per cuft of resin) would let you use 8 lb/cuft of salt. If you went to 6 lb/cuft, you could get 20000 grains, which is even more salt-efficient. 6 or 8 lb/cuft is where you want to be usually.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The average water use in the US has dropped considerably over the past 25 years due to modern and efficient plumbing designs. Remember the days of 5 gallon flush toilets? Modern toilets commonly only use 1.28 gallons per flush. Faucets, shower heads etc are all required to e water saving designs now. Laundry machines, dish washers etc all use far less water than the older designs. Most companies have changed from 75 gpd to 60 gpd. It is only an estimate. My household used less than 30 gallons per person per day in the last few months. I also have touchfree faucets and many other water saving devices in my house.

rss1978

Reaction score
Ditto and Reach....thanks for the help. I think I am leaning toward the 96K/3 cu ft unit. I have looked the salt/cu ft chart and think that it will make more sense because I want the tank to regenerate at least every 7 days since I have a well. I also roughly calculated our weekly water use. I came up with about 45 gals/person/day average. I know I am probably forgetting a few things, but I think the 60 gal/day average is a fairly safe bet. No having any outside faucets plumbed with soft water definitely keeps that number down.

The unit I am looking at has the Fleck 7000sxt, 1" noryl bypass valve, 60lbs of #20 gravel, 3 cu ft of 8% resin, 18x40 brine tank, and a top basket/screen. The actual unit is at this link: http://www.watts.com/pages/_products_details.asp?pid=5425. Is there anything else I need to check on or make sure of before I purchase?

One thing I did not mention...I have a high TDS of 2114 mg/L. Does this effect anything that I am thinking. I did not mention it earlier because I had seen nothing about it in anything I have read. But today I was reading information on some forum and it said the TDS will effect settings.

Can you guys also provide me with any information on programming the Fleck? I think I want to be about 8 lbs/cu ft of salt. Any assistance you provide will be great. I am learning as I go! Thanks for all the help!

Reach4

Reaction score
That does seem like a high TDS. The initial TDS portion that you can do something about is reflected in the hardness number, and it is the softener's job to replace the hardness with salt. So the softener net won't change the TDS much Most of the rest of the original TDS would also be salt, and you can't do anything about that short of a reverse osmosis system. If you are on a low sodium diet and want to drink the water, you might consider an RO unit.

You could go 6 probably. Do get a Hach 5B kit to measure hardness. You can check the residual hardness. To check the hardness of the raw water with that kit, mix with 50% distilled water. Then double the hardness measurement that you get.

For your settings, you will need to know the BLFC. Double BF to 32 if BLFC=0.25. This is not the only right answer, and there may be better choices. I selected rc to allow you to change to 6 pounds more easily. To go to 6 pounds, just change C to 60.0 and BF to 12. You could make changes after you see your actual use.

I think the Bd times that I copied from an earlier prescription to somebody else may need to be adjusted because you have a larger unit. However since you probably have a bigger injector, Bd may stay at 60. We need somebody with more experience to address that.
pix_4.GIF

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks