New shutoff valve on toilet (polybutylene)

Users who are viewing this thread

Rsmith99

Reaction score
I need some help!
I am going to retile the bathroom and install a new toilet. The shutoff valve on the toilet needs to be replaced because it wont shut off.

As you can see, I only have about 2" of PB sticking out of the wall. I have work with polybutylene and PEX. And I have a crimping tool. Problem is, if I convert from PB to PEX and then add a new valve, everything will stick out from the wall about 4-5 inches. Pretty ugly!

Is there some other way to replace the valve without tearing a hole in the wall? Please be specific.

Thanks!

Attachments

• valve1.jpg
    valve1.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 3,801
  • valve2.jpg
    valve2.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 9,330

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can use a 1/4 turn stop valve with a Shark-Bite connection to the pipe. These 1/4 turn valves are very popular for shut offs because these valves should always either be fully off or fully on.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
1. You can remove the valve, nut, and sleeve and install a new compression valve
2. If the looks of the nut is not objectionable, you can just remove the valve and use the nut to secure the new valve
3. You can use one of the "push on" valves, not the same as a Sharkbite.
4. You can use valve with sharkbite connection

Rsmith99

Reaction score
Replace valve

The compression ring and internal sleeve seem to be hard to find.
The ones I have removed have a plastic compression ring and a stainless steel sleeve.
The PB is a larger diameter than PVC inside.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
Gary's sharkbite ball valve seems to be the idea solution for you. The sharkbite connection will have a built in internal stiffner...which is exactly what you need for this situation. Just be gentle cutting off the old valve as PB can be brittle.

Rsmith99

Reaction score
Compression fitting on Polybutylene - Will pipe dope help?

I am getting rady to replace the shutoff valve on an old toilet.

My house has Polybutylene. I am replacing the existing compression fitting with a new compression fitting.

My question is, should I use pipe dope around the compression ring? Will it help it seal or not?

Thanks!
Ron

Attachments

• poly.jpg
    poly.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 4,705

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
No pipe dope! You might put a drop of oil on the threads, but it is not needed. Sometimes the threads are pretty nasty (especially stuff made in China), and it makes it easier to cinch up. It's not required, though.

Rsmith99

Reaction score
I am trying to decide if I want to use the compression fitting on the PB or use an adapter to PEX or use an adapter from PB to PEX and connect to copper with a PEX adapter.
I am trying to get to the best solution if anything needs to be done down the road. Having copper coming out of the wall seems more solid. And everybody makes compression fittings for copper.
I don't like the looks of PEX coming out of the wall.
So here is a photo from the other side of the wall showing where the PB is coming out of the wall. The PB comes out of the floor, so I only have about 3" of PB to work with from the floor to the elbow.
From the elbow to the wall is about 4". (6" wall)
For stability, it seems eliminating the elbow and making an L shaped copper connection coming from the floor would be strongest. Just have to hope it works the first time.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• pb.jpg
    pb.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 3,668

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You have never mentioned if you are on a slab or have a crawlspace or basement. With the latter 2, you could make the transition anywhere you needed to. If you are on a slab (PB under a slab??) you are a bit more limited.

Rsmith99

Reaction score
Installed the cmpression fitting. Worked first time. No leaks.
Just a note about the compression fittings. The ferrell and plastic ring I used were given to me by a plumber about 15 years ago. They fit perfectly. I found what was supposed to be replacements for these parts in two local supply houses. Neither of the replacment ferrells were the same wall thickness or outside diamemter. The ferrells were loose inside the PB. The old ferrell was a close fit. I don't think the replacement would have worked. I don't think the new ferrells are actually made to fit PB.

Now it's off to bust out tile.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks