New shut off valves releasing water when off?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by sanrico, Oct 4, 2009.

1. sanrico

sanrico New Member

Hi everyone on this wonderful forum!

Yesterday, I did my first ever copper pipe sweat when I replaced the crusty old hot and cold shut off valves in our bathroom (we're getting a new vanity and sink fixtures) with new quarter-turn valves.

I was very happy and proud to see there were no leaks when I turned the water back on. However, this morning, I was puzzled to see that the new valves, which are turned off, of course, had some water pooled in them (the supply hoses to the faucets aren't installed yet.

Is this normal? It's not a lot of water. Nothing was dripping out onto the floor. Just enough water to pool up inside the valve (see picture). Should I be concerned?

Thank you very much for your help!

[​IMG]
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

That's not very much water.

I only buy certain brands of shutoffs, the home centers don't sell what I use.
    There are many things not saving money on.

You should be fine though, a few drops overnight?
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
  3. sanrico

sanrico New Member

That's right, it was just a few drops overnight. I'm glad to know I don't have to remove and replace these valves.

Thanks for the help and thank you very much for this fantastic forum. I've been reading many of the threads and am learning a lot!