New Shower with body sprays - wrong mixing valve

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by mbeaver, Feb 21, 2008.

1. mbeaver

mbeaver New Member

My wife purchased a Hansgrohe shower head and two body sprays. The customer service person mis-directed her to purchasing the wrong mixing valve (4 connection instead of 5) needed to work the shower head at the same time as the body sprays. The current valve will only work one or the other. The rep suggested inserting a "plumbers loops" that would work both shower head and sprays at the same time - downside is both are either on or off. I've attached a diagram of what they told me....I don't understand the purpose of the loop they are suggesting versus plumbing the body spray line directily to the shower head line.
    Any help would be appreciated!
  2. srdenny

srdenny Plumbing Contractor

Take it back and get the right one.
  3. mbeaver

mbeaver New Member

The valve is already plumbed in - can't return it. I think I could have thought of that one - great advice.
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Depending on the volume and pressure, feeding spray heads serially, the spray can decrease as you go from the first to the last. If you make a loop, and tap off from the loop, it tends to stay more even to each outlet. They probably sell a matching shutoff. You could plumb that into one of the branches, but it wouldn't give you as much control as the proper divertor.