New shower valves and existing lines

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Snets, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Snets

Snets New Member

I am remodeling a bath and the old shower has hot & cold 1/2" copper tubing supply lines.

I purchased a vertical spa system and need to rough-in a Moen 3371 Thermostatic Valve and three Moen 3600 Volume Control Valves. All of the valves have 3/4" IPS connections.

Also, it looks like the volume valves have no means to secure them to blocking so I assume you would secure the piping to the valves with clamps to some blocking.

TIA
  2. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

I would return the Moen crap and trade it in for something decent.
  3. Snets

Snets New Member

Sorry, I mistakenly thought this site might be able to help me with a plumbing project. Silly me.:confused:
  4. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

You would strap the pipes so they secure it in place.
  5. Snets

Snets New Member

Thanks, Redwood. That's what I assumed but wanted to hear. The 1/2" to 3/4" IPS I think will not be an issue because I think I can get new 3/4" copper into the location. I'm going to start a new post about that, it's a different topic.

Not knowing that much about fittings available, do the fittings I need thread into the valves and then sweat onto the copper? I guess I'm confused because I'm not familiar with the "IPS" thread......It's just a straight pipe thread, right?

Thanks again.
  6. wtf.gif
    .....​

7. kingsotall

kingsotall Plunger/TurdPuncher

I always assumed IPS = iron pipe size, Meaning a tapered thread.
  8. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

Believe me... In a year or so you will appreciate my advice. :D

9. Yep, there's only 54 million threads about cartridges stuck solid that won't come out,

tool broke, how do I get those black rubbers out?

There's one time I pulled so damn hard I almost hit the back wall of the tub.

If that valve isn't braced good, you can create more work pulling on those cartridges.