new shower valve decision

Users who are viewing this thread

dlr77057

Reaction score
I am putting in an air tub and new shower fixtures. (using a roman tub filler)

I am trying to decide on a shower valve
- to support the shower head -and- a hand held shower (HH)
- and that includes a diverter in the valve.

I like the looks of a couple of the pressure-balancing valves BUT i was told by people at the stores that:

1-with a PB valve the handheld shower will leak - it can't be 'plumbed' enough or something

&/or

2- the water pressure on the HH will be low because its being attached to the bottom port (usually used for a tub spout) with the HH being positioned higher (about breast high) and so it will be low pressure because the water pipe will go down first then turn then go up

Is this true?!:confused:

I could get a thermostatic valve with an intregal diverter, like the hansgrohe ThermoBalance II - 06580000, that has a side port - but- i am not as crazy about the trim and , honestly, it doesn't appeal to me to have a separate volume and temp control. I mean, I am always going to want full volume, and i am always adjusting the temp, even while taking a shower, so having the temp always at the same place is not important to me.

So really, i want the pressure bal valve -- BUT i want to make sure it will work properly for my configuration

Thank you for your advice!:)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Can't help you re the pressure balance vs thermostatic, but I much prefer the thermostatic. Do you constantly change it because you want to, or it changes with emptying the tank and you must? I really like setting it once and just turning the volume control on. Never too hot, never too cold, but easy to change if you prefer or another person changed it - realiable to get it back to your preference. SOrt of like the memory button on the car seats/mirror, etc. Once you find your preference, it is easy to get back.

A minor direction change will not affect the pressure much so it doesn't make any big difference about which end it comes out of the valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks