New shower thread?

Users who are viewing this thread

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
Nice mask you got there Sparky . You definitely find new applications for the Redgard . I bet with another coat you will get close the the pvc liner .;)

Do you use liquid waterproofing often? With everyone touting sheet membranes, I'm still worried about longevity and eventual leaks. I'm half tempted to start over.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Redgard works well when used properly. But, it is not a product where more is better! IT is only tested and approved when it is installed properly, and that includes thickness. TO do it properly, you really need a wet film gauge to verify you're getting the proper thickness. You can't check afterwards, because generally anyways, to do that, you'd have to poke a hole in it...not the best thing for a waterproofing membrane! Wet film gauges are cheap - anyone that uses a liquid applied membrane should have one. The biggest issue with liquid membranes is uneven coverage and pinhole leaks. A sheet membrane is more forgiving, and with the required overlap or seaming, there's some redundancy there (eg., on Kerdi, a 2" overlap on a seam is more forgiving than about 50mils of liquid membrane you may not spread out properly).

Eurob

master tile and stone installer
Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Do you use liquid waterproofing often? With everyone touting sheet membranes, I'm still worried about longevity and eventual leaks. I'm half tempted to start over.

Yes , I also use liquids . But if you are worried about longevity and eventual leaks , why didn't you go with a sheet membrane ?

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
Update... I picked out an 18x18 travertine that matched what I will have on the shower floor.

I laid most of the floor last weekend, and will break out the wet saw this weekend.

The tile got dropped here in Vegas this afternoon.

I was going to cover the counter and bench tops with the 18x18 tile. I would have accepted that. The tile was a gift, so I didn't want to take advantage of the situation. Well, the guys cut me solid travertine counter and bench tops. Unbelievable.

I gotta get this stuff moved 250 miles now, and I'll have some questions for you pros. John, Roberto, where'd you go?

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Vegas_sparky said:
I was going to cover the counter and bench tops with the 18x18 tile. I would have accepted that. The tile was a gift, so I didn't want to take advantage of the situation. Well, the guys cut me solid travertine counter and bench tops. Unbelievable.

I gotta get this stuff moved 250 miles now, and I'll have some questions for you pros. John, Roberto, where'd you go?

The first counter on the pic looks like a disaster waiting to happen ........ Usually we use a thicker piece of styrofoam than the bullnose in between the slabs , to prevent the bullnose from the 2 slabs to touch while in transport .

Great gift Vegas !

Last edited by a moderator:

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
Thats how it arrived. I resecured everything. The smallest piece got moved to the back of my SUV, and I added a moving blanket between the other two slabs. I hate transporting this stuff.

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
" Soft '' material . Probably the roads at your location are much better than what we have here . The rack helps a lot during transport .

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
Roberto, I've never set a solid shower bench top. Thinset, or medium mortar? I know I can get 100% coverage with thinset. The framing is solid. John drilled that point home.

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Medium bed if build up is necessary -- slope or leveling of more than 1/4 thick needed-- . Thin set if less than 1/4 thick . 2 persons for the installation of the bench is a must . I would also use white with notches on both surfaces -- stone and bench -- .

If you have access to X 77 from Ardex you will not regret it .

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
All the material made it up safely. Slope for bench is built into framing, so no need for any build up. Thinset it is.

Thanks, Roberto. :)

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
:)Glad to hear it .:)

You may need some blocking -- from the bench to the opposite wall -- if the slab is slightly sliding after installation -- thin set use -- . And this can happen depending of the consistency of the thin-set . Use the recommended proportions from the mixing section on the packaging bag .

Flat , level and proper slope -- top of the bench area -- are a must for a thin set use . :)

Did I mention to check the layout -- tiles on walls -- before installing the bench ? If 1/2 or 3/4 is needed -- raising the bench top -- to accommodate the design , you should make the adjustments before you install the slab on the bench .

From the pics -- bench between walls -- , the slab should be about 1/4 to 3/8 shorter than the total distance from wall to wall -- filling the equal gaps after -- . You don't want to find how hard to install it is , if you have an exact -- no gap --measurement .

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
Didn't even get to setting the bench top this weekend. I finished off the shower floor,

and set the rest of the bathroom floor, built the lower counter, dry set those tops, and shot lines all over the room. Layout is done.

I'm not setting any wall tile until I get a bigger wet saw. I have to have a 10" saw with a mitre head to do this right. I've made it this far with an MK 470 that I've had for 10+ years.

Last edited:

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Looking good Vegas . :)

I see you also did the grout on the shower floor . Nice . ;)

Are you going to do the holes for the sink and faucet after you installed the tops ? I don't see any in your photos .

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
Thanks again, Roberto. That floor was the hardest thing I've ever tiled. Im glad its done. :)

For the sink top I'll cut the holes, or take it back to Vegas and have the pros do it. I haven't even decided on a sink yet. This whole project has been on the fly. LOL

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
I just lost the tread on a trailer tire. I picked it up from the road.

Decision time. Should I glue it back on with modified, or unmodified? Wrap it with Kerdi, or Ditra? I stapled it on for now. Only 200 miles to go. LOL

I swear, every time I use someone else's trailer, I have a wheel/tire problem. Sheeeesh..

Dhagin

builder:anti-builder
Reaction score
Some Kerdi Fix and your buddy won't even notice it :D

That's a scary thought, loosing some tread off the trailer tire. We paid extra for the radials when we bought our trailer and sure glad we did.

Of course, fix the tread with Kerdi backed by drywall. :D

Tliing looks good! Yer hired. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks