New shower stall darin problem

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by eldagwood, Jan 4, 2008.

1. eldagwood

eldagwood New Member

Jan 4, 2008
    New shower stall drain problem

I am remodeling a bathroom and removed the tub to make a shower stall. I made the stall using the Shulter system which worked good. The drain is 2", the old connections are all 11/2". So I had to connect it that way. Now that the drain is hooked up and not leaking, water stays in the pipes to about 3" below the top of the drain. I tried making the trap lower, but to no avail. The trap is located before the drain makes a 90 into the floor joists then runs to the main stack. I do not know how to get the waste water to drain from the main line and only leave water at the trap.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Aug 17, 2004
    Bothell, Washington
    That is a deep trap there.
    A normal trap weir looks like a U

Water depth is determined by the pipes though, and I expect that you will still see water looking down the drain.
    Most of the time, I have at least 2" of wood above the hole in the floor joist.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. eldagwood

eldagwood New Member

Jan 4, 2008

So the trap is bad? Will the water be ok if it sits at the drain like that?
  5. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Dec 15, 2007
    Service Plumber
    Several problems...

1 The depth of the trap is way deep. Why not just buy a trap so its right?

2 The 2" drain is connected to 1 1/2" pipe by what I'm reading. It should be 2"

3 You have made a running trap which it prohibited by code.

4 Where is this vented?