New Sharkbite 3/4" ball valve leaks

Users who are viewing this thread

Dave Stone

Reaction score
I am replacing the last few feet of 3/4" copper pipe that brings water from the street to my house and also replacing the ancient gate valve with a Sharkbite ball valve (SharkBite 22185-0000LF Ball Valve SB 3/4"LL) that I bought at Home Depot. This has Sharkbite connectors on both sides.

The water has not yet been turned back on at the street (and btw, the valve at the street apparently leaks, albeit very slowly because the end of the pipe had been dripping before I installed the vertical section--is this normal?) and the Sharkbite valve is connected at the current end of the vertical portion of the new section of copper pipe. I have not connected copper to the downstream end of the valve yet.

The Sharkbite valve was left CLOSED (lever at a right angle to valve/pipe) while I was away for about 30 hours, and when I just now checked it, the top of the valve was full of water and it had been spilling onto the ground beneath. So it appears that this is city water that has managed to get THROUGH the brand-new Sharkbite valve. I opened the valve and nothing happened--the pipe is full of water to the top of the valve.

Prior to pushing the valve onto the copper pipe, I didn't mess with it at all except to remove the plastic inserts and then open and close the valve a few times to admire the ball action inside. Do these valves need any tightening or adjustment? The lever action is not loose; it offers some resistance.

Or did I just get a bad one?

Thanks.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
"(and btw, the valve at the street apparently leaks, albeit very slowly because the end of the pipe had been dripping before I installed the vertical section--is this normal?)"

Call your water dept and they will replace it. No, it's not normal - it should not leak.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Sharkbite fittings rely on an internal o-ring to make the seal. THey sell a debur tool to use prior to installing the fitting as any little burr on the end could nick or slice the o-ring and cause a leak. The only other thing that may cause one to leak is if it is not fully seated. The valve itself should be working, and there's not much you can do if it isn't.

Dave Stone

Reaction score
Jim, yeh, this seems to be the valve itself as the leak is through the valve. A damaged o-ring or lack of proper seating would only cause a leak on the same side where the seal or seating is when the valve is closed.

dj2, thanks, I'll call them.

Last edited:

Dave Stone

Reaction score
I think I discovered the (non) problem with the valve. It is what amounts to a detent at the end of the closure. This morning I pushed the lever hard and lo and behold, it went a little further. A couple of minutes later I opened it and there was a bit of a squirt of pressure release (from the leaking street valve). Live and learn. My granddad always told me, about using tools and taking things apart, "Never force anything!" I am sometimes too cautious, I guess.

Do all ball valves have a detent like this?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
WIth use, it may not have that friction after awhile as things wear in. It's probably the sealing surfaces rubbing against the edge of the ball's opening.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks