New Shallow Well Pump; Now Water is Gray

Users who are viewing this thread

Julie127

Reaction score
My husband just installed a new pump on our well & the water is coming out gray. I have seen a few posts that say this is normal, but how long should it last?

Last edited:

PumpMd

Kevin
Reaction score
Run your pump continuously until the water is clear enough to shut the pump off (quickest way) or let it settled to the bottom your well over time, then you flush your pressure tank out a few times, to get the dirty water out. It all depends on how good your well driller was IMO. 30minutes - 2hrs+, if you run the pump continuously outside.

Julie127

Reaction score
This is on an existing well that was running clear this morning. We had to change the pump because it was 40+ years old & not working properly.

Reach4

Reaction score
Stuff got stirred up. It is normal to stir things up when you change a submersible pump.

Tell us about the old pump, and maybe post a picture of the label. This wont help you, but we would like to read about your 40 year pump.

Julie127

Reaction score
Maybe I don't understand the terminology, but I don't believe this is a submersible pump. It is in our basement, not in the well. If this is normal, how long will it be like this? Can we use it for showers?

The old one is a Myers, but I was wrong about the age. It was manufactured in October 1976, just shy of 40 years. It was in the house when we bought it 25 years ago, but we assume it had to have been installed somewhere around the manufacturing date. It was a great pump with no issues until it started making noises last spring. The noises got progressively worse this summer until two weeks ago they stopped and then the pump wouldn't shut off and pressure decreased significantly.

Julie127

Reaction score
DSC_2854.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_2853.JPG
    DSC_2853.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 276

Reach4

Reaction score
If this is normal, how long will it be like this? Can we use it for showers?

I don't know about the jet pump and why it would have done this. I would still try running water into the yard.

I would think it would be OK for showers, but I don't know.

Thanks for posting the picture.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
The old pump was wore and not pumping much. The new pump is flowing more water and the extra velocity is scouring all the junk off the pipes. Just hope the junk doesn't clog the jet. It should clear in a day or two.

Julie127

Reaction score
Thank you! Today is a lot better. Just a faint tint of grey.

Now the washer is filling sporadically. No issues with it before the pump change, other than it being slow to fill. Doing my first load since the change and now it will fill full blast for 5 seconds & then slow to barely a drip, then repeat until it is filled. Do you think this is related or just another joy of home ownership?

There are no pressure issues anywhere else in the house while using the water.

Reach4

Reaction score
Too late for this episode, but I would add a whole house filter of some sort. If you have iron or sulfur problems, you could take care of that plus sediment in the same big backwashing filter. For the minor sediment problem, put in a cartridge filter. I like the 4.5 inch diameter Pentek Big Blue housings. They have 20 inch and 10 inch. Use a polypropylene filter element.

Did you run the hose on full to the yard/ditch overnight?

Julie127

Reaction score
It was the screens - thank you!!! They were nasty!

We ran the water for about and hour & a half. The next morning it was a lot better & cleared up as it was used throughout the day.

Thanks for all the help!!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks