New Service Panel Question

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by jparrie, May 18, 2008.

1. jparrie

jparrie Automotive Locksmith

I'm installing a new 200A Service panel while remodeling. This unit has 42 slots, but there is no way that there are enough knockouts for even half that many cicuits. Does the NEC alow doubling or even tippling up on the nm romex through each knockout opening? Secure them all to framing within 8" of the service? Any derating required?

TIA
  2. Speedy Petey

Speedy Petey Licensed Electrical Contractor

This message was too short so I made this white.
  3. jparrie

Thanks! Can you point me to a source for this connector rating information?
  4. Chris75

Chris75 Electrician

5. Speedy Petey

Pretty much every NM connector that looks like that will accept at least two cables of varying sizes.

You have to look at the label or instructions.
  6. Marv

Marv New Member

Two wires in every hole (12 & 14 gauge). In our county we can use the yellow or grey plastic fittings. Very easy to use.
  7. jparrie

I'm not familar with those, who makes them?
  8. Marv

Marv New Member

I'm not sure who makes them, just go to home depot and look for the plastic inserts by the metal connectors. They're fast and quick and hold the wire great.
  9. Chris75

Chris75 Electrician

Are you talking about these
    [​IMG]

or these
    [​IMG]
  10. Marv

Marv New Member

I've used the second one. I've also used the yellow ones that are similar (and the yellow with double inputs).
    Last edited: May 22, 2008
  11. kd

kd New Member

If your inspector allows you to use grommets they must be stapled within 8 inches of the box. Some allow lots of cables going thru one big grommet. Others say one cable--one hole.
  12. Chris75

Chris75 Electrician

Its a code violation to just use a grommet... even if you do staple within 8" of the box...
  13. Speedy Petey

Also, "others" CANNOT simply say that. They must be able to back it up with a written code citation, which in this case they probably could not do.
    MOST NM connectors ARE rated for more than one cable.