New Remodeled Shower Drain Already Rusting!

Users who are viewing this thread

Laker Fan Dan

Reaction score
I did a full home remodel and have been living in the house for about 6-7 weeks. The new shower drain is already rusted. Does anyone know what this blue metal pipe is made out of or how to fix this? I held a magnet to it and it sticks. In my other shower, which I haven't used yet, I also see rust spotting already. I'm worried this will corrode and start leaking. I complained to my contractor.

Attachments

• IMG_3838.JPG
    IMG_3838.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 422
  • IMG_3841.JPG
    IMG_3841.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 343

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The blue thing is the cast iron drain body. the grid is either stainless steel or aluminum, but it has steel bolts which are rusting. take them out and replace them with stainless steel bolts. It will NOT 'corrode and start leaking'.

Laker Fan Dan

Reaction score
The blue thing is the cast iron drain body. the grid is either stainless steel or aluminum, but it has steel bolts which are rusting. take them out and replace them with stainless steel bolts. It will NOT 'corrode and start leaking'.
Thanks for the reply! I appreciate it. That makes sense. If you look at my other shower drain (that I haven't used yet) you can see that it is mostly the bolts and the bolt housing that looks rusted.

Attachments

• IMG_3843.JPG
    IMG_3843.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 416
  • IMG_3842.JPG
    IMG_3842.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 323

Laker Fan Dan

Reaction score
Thank you.
It would seem that your shower drains should have come with stainless fasteners:

http://www.lspproducts.com/docs/spec_sheets/20SD Spec Sheet.pdf

Also on the first picture it looks like someone has ground down the surface of the grate for some reason(darker color).

Thanks for the info. This is so helpful. It seems like there is a long distance between the top of the tile to the fastener hole. So maybe the screws it came with weren't long enough and they used just regular screws.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks