New Pump Needed?

Discussion in 'Irrigation / Sprinkler Forum' started by bizgoz, Apr 26, 2008.

1. bizgoz

bizgoz New Member

Apr 26, 2008
    My sprinkler pump is about 25 years old. About 10 years ago I had it rebuilt. It worked fine until a few weeks ago. Some work was being done behind my house and I had to disconnect the pump for about a month and then extend the intake pipe (from a canal) about 25 feet in length. The run from canal to pump is about 10 feet vertical and about 120 feet long. Since I redid it (and replaced the check valve) it primes okay, but has very low pressure. Any thoughts on rebuilding this ancient pump vs. replacing it? Thanks!
  2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots Sprinkler Guy

Mar 23, 2007
    Metro NYC
    Extending the intake line increases the friction losses, and reduces pump performance. If it must be longer, then you may need to replace it all with a larger-diameter pipe.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. bizgoz

bizgoz New Member

Apr 26, 2008
    Got it. And as far as replacing the pump goes, is there a preferred internet vendor for pumps?
  5. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

Mar 15, 2006
    Pump Controls Technician
    Lubbock, Texas