New Pressure Switch Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

mikeehman

Reaction score
I have a shallow well pump with a new Square D 40-60 pressure switch. The reason it's new is because the old one would kick in and pump up fine but once it got to the top rather then kick out it would sit at the pressure and the contacts would just rattle back and forth until it either kicked out the breaker or finally get past that point and finally kick out.
I replaced the switch and the problem has gotten somewhat better but still has a little issue at top pressure. The biggest thing with the new switch is when it hits top pressure it kicks out really hard to the point my lights throughout the whole house blink. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Mike

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The lights don't blink when the pump turns off, only when it kicks back on. Sounds like you have a check valve between the pressure switch and the pressure tank. Removing that check valve should stop the chattering.

mikeehman

Reaction score
Sorry Valveman, I'm sure there is a specific term for what I'm trying to explain but the lights actually blink when the pump shuts off. It shuts down so hard that I can hear it two floors up like someone has hit the pump with a rubber hammer, to the point it rattles the pipes.

Thanks,

Mike

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
It isn't the switch and wasn't the previous switch.

Water hammer is what you are hearing now. Probably a check valve closing and the pump coming on again in just a second or two. You have a leak or a something wrong with the pump or well plumbing etc..

Describe your system from the well to the pressure tank. Do you have a submersible pump or jet pump; if jet shallow or deep well (one or two lines from the well?).

mikeehman

Reaction score
Thanks for the response Gary,

I have a 1 1/2"sandpoint up to a check valve into the 1hp shallow well pump with one line exiting the pump. The whole system is in my basement which is 7 feet below grade and the point is down about 16 feetfrom the basement floor.

Mike

Speedbump

Reaction score
It shuts down so hard that I can hear it two floors up like someone has hit the pump with a rubber hammer, to the point it rattles the pipes.

Just what kind of Check Valve did you install? I'll bet it is a gate type Check Valve instead of an in line spring loaded one. That could be the answer to your water hammer.

What Valveman was trying to say is that when the power is removed from the Pump Motor, the lights won't blink. They may gain intensity because the voltage came up a few volts from an improper wiring job. When the Pump shuts off, it also comes back on rapidly, this causes the light blinking phenominon. Your doing damage to your motor by letting it do this. Change the Check Valve and I think your problem will go away.

bob...

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
You may have a waterlogged tank caused by a failed bladder.

You may have a check valve between the tank and the switch; or maybe an extra check valve between the tank and the switch in addition to the foot valve or the check valve in the suction line.

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
Speedbump and Valveman are right!

Speedbump
Just what kind of Check Valve did you install? I'll bet it is a gate type Check Valve instead of an in line spring loaded one. That could be the answer to your water hammer.

What Valveman was trying to say is that when the power is removed from the Pump Motor, the lights won't blink. They may gain intensity because the voltage came up a few volts from an improper wiring job. When the Pump shuts off, it also comes back on rapidly, this causes the light blinking phenominon. Your doing damage to your motor by letting it do this. Change the Check Valve and I think your problem will go away.

Water Hammer is the hard bump you are hearing! It sounds like the wrong type check valve.
Porky

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks