New plumbing...replace meter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Northland

Reaction score
I replaced my kitchen sink about a year ago and noticed my galvanized pipes completely shut. I still have decent water pressure at that sink (bathroom hot is a fast trickle). I am now planning on replacing the whole system. All my water pipes are galvanized, and the water main comes in through the floor in the basement to the meter to the house.

Where do I start with the new pipes? Do I start above the meter or should I have the city come out and see if they should replace the meter? I am pretty confident I can complete the job, just need a starting point.

Also, thinking about using CPVC for the new lines, copper would be nice but too expensive right now. Any problems with CPVC?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Usually the city is responsible for the water supply to the meter and the homeowner is responsible from the meter on. There should be no reason to replace the meter. Unless you have chemical imbalances in your water, I would suggest you bite the bullet and use copper. CPVC does not have the life expectancy of copper. If you do insist on CPVC, you should know that it takes a larger pipe size in CPVC than copper to carry the same amount of water. The inside diameter is what counts and the CPVC is smaller than copper. In most cases, copper is a once in a lifetime expense.

Bosun

Reaction score
Get rid of the galvy

It will be a problem sooner than later. Kitchen sinks are notorious for this--the dish soap builds up over the years...

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Most city's are responsible to the shutoff at the street.

If you have the inclination have the water line from the street to the house replaced then do the inside.

If you don't want the expense of that then just do the inside starting after the meter.

Even though CPVC has a smaller ID it will far exceed what you have now.

Last edited:

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you use tube-size CPVC you should consider using 3/4" throughout. That will be a little smaller than 3/4" copper but will be much larger than the 1/2" copper usually used for the distribution in internal piping.

You might consider using 1/2" CPVC for the hot water runs so you don't have to wait so long for the hot water to arrive and there will be less energy loss.

If you have very long or high-flow cold water supply lines you can get 3/4" or 1" pipe size CPVC, but not at HD or places like that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks