New onboard the USS vent/drain boat

Users who are viewing this thread

MikefromPa

Reaction score
Hello. I am the proverbial new guy with tons of questions to annoy one and all. Might as well get that out there. I posted these questions on another forum that I frequent, and it has yet to be addressed, and I saved this site a couple of days ago looking for pix and diagrams. After a few hours of reading posts on here, and seeing the rather elaborate "sketchups," I'm sort of embarrassed of the one I took all day to finish, but oh well. I'll cheat here, and paste my basic question:

I started a project awhile back, which never really got started. A friend of mine was giving me some basics on plumbing, and when the services were offered, I ended up working crazy hours, and lost interest. I am now ready to tackle it again while the weather is bad, as well as work. Problem...friend is now fully engulfed in a new baby and all of the holiday joys :crazy: that go with it. I, however, am looking for excuses to not be into the holidays, which brings me here...
I made a rudimentary drawing of where I am at...in theory. The room is still bare with the exception of a scaffold for some spackling. From my previous notes, I placed where the drains and vents are supposed to go...I think. I did a lot of net searching, and DL'd a bunch of drawings and pictures, and venting doesn't seem to be that hard. If I thought that, I would have put the pipes in already. I would like to know if I am off base with the venting and/or drainage (not complete in the picture) that I have so far. I have seen diagrams that don't show as many vents going up (to crawlspace..to stack). As of now, I have three up to one stack (proposed)
Here is what I have in mind...I am no artist.

I think the vent pipe for the tub has to be within 6' of the tub trap? And the shower, although by code should be vented, it wouldn't need to be due to the proximity of the drain.
Any advice would be appreciated.
thank you
mike
bathv.JPG

Here's my new edit. I already have the pipe, so sizing isn't in question, just the amount of vents that will penetrate the top plate (as of now I am planning 3 that will tie into the main stack in the crawlspace) and the distance from trap to vent..I think that is the other main issue in these type of questions. I have seen 5', 8' , and other measurements, so I'm a bit confused on that as well.
I actually have to laugh at my drawing after seeing all those really nice ones with the actual picture of pipes, and the colors. Mine is the low-brow version:rolleyes:.
I guess I should add that for the sink drain, I will probably go towards the other half of the house (side that sink is shown) as that is where the drain to the sewer is. The "Drain in basement" will go under concrete to that drain. And after seeing that most of the drawings on here show venting for all of the fixtures, I guess I could go up the outside wall for the shower.

I appreciate anyone steering me in the right direction. I practically rebuilt this entire house, and would hate to get hung up on the plumbing. So far, plumbing, concrete, and block, are the only things that I have stayed away from. If I could just weld those pipes in there:D then I would be set.
Oh, and I saw this also https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16286
I usually stick around awhile.
thanx,
mike

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Shower need to be vented.Vent water closet is improper to the code that
I am used to_Other than thatOK.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

All I see is a line between the tub and the toilet without any details. We don't know how they will tie together, along with the shower and sinks, and the proceed to the main drain, or how the vents will connect.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Hard to see in your diagram how those vents take off. It cannot be a horizontal tee connection.

MikefromPa

Reaction score
Thanx for looking at that. I will have to edit that drawing a bit or try to replicate some of the works that were done on this site. All venting laterals were to tie into a 90 to penetrate the floor, with the exception of the sink. The WC vent, as I have the pieces now, consists of a wye and 2 45's to help me steer from drain of the WC, to the drawing left, to allow the vent to be able to 90 up through the bottom plate, working around a wall stud (which wasn't the real problem) and subsequently a double ceiling joist (which is why the wye isn't directly under the WC.)
Am I getting closer:rolleyes:
thanx again for taking you time time reply.
mike

Oh..I guess I should add... The vertical drain line in the basement will fall somewhere in the center of the tub and shower drain, as the plumbing for this can me moved...I broke out the floor over a year ago.
The shower drain will follow the joist to the exterior wall, and then tie in to the main drain along with the tub, and the kitchen sink drain, not shown.

Last edited:

MikefromPa

Reaction score
I messed around with the sketchup for a while, and although the 3 step tutorial follow along was definitely simple, I had a hard time trying to create a framed diagram. I did the old fashioned thing of taking a picture, and then using paint. Cruder than the first drawing I did, but the principle should be clear of what I'm thinking.
Picture:

The black line on the left represents the tub vent connection coming up from the basement. The right line is the vent that will travel through the top plate to the main stack, coming from a shower vent in the basement.

I'm thinking that the venting could be taken right from the main drain stack in the basement, needing only one pipe to penetrate the floor:

The tub would drain into the WC 3" pipe as as shown in my first pic at the top of this thread. Not shown are the traps for the shower, and the tub. The WC is still vented on the opposite wall as previously shown. Eliminated is the original tub vent, which traveled to the picture left, through one joist, and then up.

Hope this clears up some issues.
thanx
mike

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks