New Moen Tub spout not flush with tile wall

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by dmtrunner, Dec 6, 2009.

1. dmtrunner

dmtrunner Health care analyst.

The plumber installed the tub spout with a slight gap between the tile and the spout. Water will get behind the spout. Should I caulk this to close the gap? Or get the plumber to remove the gap by changing the pipe or another solution?

[​IMG]
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

SOme spouts have a gasket. IF yours does, it shouldn't be a problem. IF not, then it's not a bad idea to caulk it. Does the spout screw on or is it a push-on type? If it screws on, you might be able to get another turn on it. IF it's a push on, if there's any movement in th pipe, without pushing against the back while pushing it on, you may never get it tight. Normally, the pipe behind would be anchored. Does the spout pull out if you pull on it or is it solidly anchored?
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I would use some clear polyseamseal on that.

I'm surprised you didn't go with Toto on your porcelain fixtures.
    Toto is the best.
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  4. dmtrunner

The plumber was surprised there was no gasket that came with it. I believe he told me this one screws on and we can't get one more twist as it is already tight on the other side. We were thinking the pipe fitting is not true 90 degrees and is causing the problem.
  5. dmtrunner

I found your form after I made the purchase, which is really to bad. Your forum is excellent a treasure trove of information. Thank you so much for doing this. I think I will use these for a while and then get something else. Is there a discussion thread on one piece unit vrs two piece toliet tank and bowl?
  6. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member