New Moen Posi-Temp Cartridge - Still NO Cold Water

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by tlkpts, Feb 17, 2012.

1. tlkpts

tlkpts New Member

Thanks to the forums I diagnosed I needed a new moen cartridge because I was not getting any cold water in my Moen shower/tub.

After replacing the cartridge with a new Moen Posi-Temp cartridge I still have little to no flow when I only have the cold water on.

When there is no cartridge in the valve cold water rushes out at a normal rate

I have checked the valve for debris and didn't find anything.

Can anyone advise a next step to try?

I tried flipping the cartridge around with hot to cold and still no cold water
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Assuming that this is a modern shower valve with antiscald technology, you shouldn't get any water out of the valve when only one supply is open. There is a balancing spool valve in there to prevent it. Now, if you hook up both hot and cold, you'll probably find out it works just fine. Try that, and let us know if it works properly. It's also possible that if only one supply was opened, when it jammed the valve closed, it got stuck there, but on a new valve, that may not happen...more likely when it gets older and there may be a mineral deposit or crud in there.
  3. tlkpts

tlkpts New Member

Thanks Jim, It is flowing full speed both hot and cold, great simple solution, can't believe I overlooked it.

It seems like the water is not getting Super Hot when it is turned all the way up, is this because of the Posi-Temp anti-scalding or could one of my supplies be off
  4. Hackney plumbing

Hackney plumbing Homeowner

I'm curious how you managed to get hot flowing out of the valve but no cold AFTER the cartridge was replaced. With a pressure balanced cartridge you shouldn't have been able to get hot or cold unless you had pressure on each side of the valve unless the spool was stuck. The cold side must not have been turned off completely???

Check your temp limit to make sure its maxed out....once its maxed out the only way to increase the temp of the water would be to increase the temp at the H20 heater for all useful purposes.
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

In addition to the balancing spool valve, all modern shower valves have some mechanical mechanism to limit the max temp. Don't know on that valve, but on some, it's a screw stop, others, it's a cam, others it's a tab stop that needs to be removed and relocated. The instructions should describe how to do it.