New member, Adding utility sink on opposite wall of bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff2016

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I've visited this forum many times, and really enjoyed all of the information I've been able to read about. I am a fairly capable DIY person, but I realize that plumbing isn't just something you hack together and hope for the best. I wanted to see if what I'm looking to do is possible.

I have a 2 story house on a slab (southern california). 3 Bathrooms. On the first floor there is a bathroom (water closet, vanity and stand up shower). The other side of the wall is my attached garage. I attached a picture which shows what is inside the wall cavity behind the vanity sink. The water closet is on the left side of the drain stack, and the sink is on the right side of the stack.

I want to do a few things:
1. I want to add a utility sink in the garage
2. I want to add a water softener, however I want to leave the outside hose bibs and kitchen sink unsoftened. I would like to have the water softener drain into the utility sink.

I understand the supply side enough to do that part of the install, but I'm not clear on the proper way to handle the utility sink drain/vent.

In the picture you can see a plumbing cover plate in my garage floor. From what I can tell the 3" (ABS) stack runs into the plumbing box where there is a cleanout tee. From what I've read on here, you can't (Well shouldn't unless you don't care about code) tie the drain into the cleanout. I've also read that using an AAV is not preferable.

If you look at the stack, you can see the 2" (I think) black drain branch off the stack and ends up below the sink in the bathroom as the drain. (It is a little bit hard to see, but it is right above where the stack goes from 3" to 2") Unless it is absolutely necessary, because of how close the existing stack is to the stud, I'd like to avoid splicing in another sanitary tee. I am wondering if I can split the 2" black drain and use it for both the indoor vanity sink, as well as the drain for the utility sink. This would allow me to repipe without using any fernco couplers since I could disconnect the drain line inside and maneuver the drain pipe a bit to glue in the wye (or sanitary tee?). I've looked at a few different examples of sharing a drain/vent line (Such as going from one vanity sink to two sinks) but I'm not certain it works that way in this application because of the other sink being a utility sink.

Is there any problem with this, both from a drain or venting perspective?

Oh, and the laundry room is on the other side of the garage, the 2nd bathroom is upstairs on the other side of the garage, and the 3rd bathroom is on the same side of the house, but quite a bit back in the house. What I'm getting at is I don't think this stack is used for anything other than the downstairs bathroom.

Attachments

• plumbing.jpg
    plumbing.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 672
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks