New Kitchen & undermount sink with plumbing problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Vagrantx291

Reaction score
My issue is that I need to install a garbage disposal and the rest of the related plumbing for a kitchen sink. The problem seems to be that the waste line (in the wall) is too high for the sink because its a deeper under mount sink. If I tried to setup the plumbing as it is now the p-trap would end up being much lower than the waste line.

Attachments

• 20160106_193640.jpg
    20160106_193640.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 439
  • 20160106_193650.jpg
    20160106_193650.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 435
Last edited by a moderator:

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
How many inches vertically is it from the bottom of the sink basin to the center of the drain pipe going into the wall?

Reaction score
It doesn't matter how low the p-trap can be.

What does matter is the location of the waste line in the wall. This is where trapped water will always remain.

Installing your disposer now without opening the wall, means the bottom half of your disposer will fill with water, and the disposer will act as the trap.

So you're opening up that wall for sure, or perhaps the other side of it.

Vagrantx291

Reaction score
It doesn't matter how low the p-trap can be.

What does matter is the location of the waste line in the wall. This is where trapped water will always remain.

Installing your disposer now without opening the wall, means the bottom half of your disposer will fill with water, and the disposer will act as the trap.

So you're opening up that wall for sure, or perhaps the other side of it.

That's what I figured, ugh I was afraid of that. The other side of the wall is outside. Is there a way to just open the wall and lower where that piece comes out or is it much more involved than that? I guess I'm trying to figure out what I should be preparing for cost wise. The other thing is this is ABS pipe (70's home) not sure if that makes things more complex/pain in the butt.

Reaction score
You should be glad it is ABS, as that is soft plastic, easy to cut with any Sawzall or even a hand saw, cheap to purchase new, easy to glue back, easy to use couplers.

You may or may not have the skills to DIY.

A professional is a good idea if you are not up to it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You do not know if the pipe goes vertical or horizontal in the wall, and the pipes are probably encased in cement grout, so moving the opening could be a major problem no matter how you do it.

Vagrantx291

Reaction score
You should be glad it is ABS, as that is soft plastic, easy to cut with any Sawzall or even a hand saw, cheap to purchase new, easy to glue back, easy to use couplers.

You may or may not have the skills to DIY.

A professional is a good idea if you are not up to it.

I'm going to call in a Pro do to this one. I have no problem sweating copper pipe and doing the basics but this part is out of my comfort zone. I did not even think it was going to be a problem with the undermount sink so I didn't even consider it when I had the walls open. From what I can remember the pipe goes straight down probably in the basement ceiling and then over to the left where it leads to the laundry room (would be my guess) since my bathroom is directly to the left of the kitchen and the laundry room is underneath the bathroom.

I'm just hoping its not going to be costly to have them lower it the necessary amount as I really want the disposal. Looking back I guess proper planning would have been to address this when I had the kitchen down to the studs but being a 26/yr old first time home owner it slipped my mind.

I appreciate the help thus far.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks