New kitchen sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Amopower

Reaction score
I'm going to replace my double basin kitchen sink soon, and was wondering if there were any pitfalls to watch out for...I will get the same size sink length by width, but I think my sink has a depth of 6 or 7" and the one I want is 8".
Will I run into plumbing problems with the disposal and drains being too high up? The house (and sink) are relatively new (2000), so the plumbing is in good shape and I would imagine I have standard parts and standard separation of the two drains, so hopefully that wont be an issue.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Water doesn't run uphill on its own...do you have that extra inch in depth for the sink to the trap? If the horizontal arm that goes into the wall is at least an inch lower than the current outlet of your sink, you should be okay without major rework. Can you post a picture of what you've got?

Amopower

Reaction score
Here it is...by the looks of things, I bet all i may need to do is trim an inch off that vertical tee. Basically that whole chunk needs to move down an inch and it looks like I got enough leeway with that Tee. sound about right?

Attachments

• DSC00267.JPG
    DSC00267.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 306
  • DSC00268.JPG
    DSC00268.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:
E

elvisclock

It looks like you should be fine to hook up a deeper sink.

Amopower

Reaction score
Thanks guys. What sorts of things would you disconnect below the sink when making the swap...the horizontal pipe going from the disposal to the drain...and then the smaller line on the disposal that looks like it is held on with a metal clamp..and then the topmost plastic nut on the right hand sink?
I dont think i should play around with trying to suspend the disposal in mid air to avoid disconnecting that one line, not worth the effort.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Take the bolt out of the bracket holding the pipe in place to the disposer, disconnect the dishwasher hose, loosen the disposer from the sink, and set it aside. Put in the new sink, and reinstall things. The slip joint on the sink without the disposer looks like it has enough slack to allow for an inch deeper sink. You still may have to tweak the piping.

Amopower

Reaction score
I seem to be stuck at the point where I'm trying to get the old sink out. I guess it was held in place with caulking or silicone. Is there a safe way to do this without either breaking the counter, or having laminate rip off in the process? I tried to use brute force with two hands underneath pushing up the basins, not budging.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Tap a putty knife through the caulk. You don't want to separate the Formica from the plywood. Just take your time.

Amopower

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I used the putty knife all the way around the sink and once I broke the entire seal, it snapped out of place and is loose now. I sharpened the putty knife edge to make it pretty thin, worked well, no damage.

Last edited:

Amopower

Reaction score
Oh man now I am stuck on the garbage disposal. I have a Whirlaway. I cantr figure out how to separate it from the sink. I loosened the large plastic nut that attached it to the sink, but i cant figure out which part to turn now to separate them. Ive been looking at installation giudes but most seem to be for the typical disposal that has three nuts and a flange.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
If it is like most I've seen (I couldn't tell for sure from your pic), there's a ring bracket below the threaded part that has 3-4 or so tubular openings in it. If you stick in something like an allen wrench to get some leverage and rotate that, it is part of a cam assembly, that will release the thing. Watch out, though, it will drop right off the sink. If you have the sink loose, take the whole thing out so you can turn it over to work on it, it will be easier.

Amopower

Reaction score
Thanks, got it.
Sink is installed, I had to cut about an inch from the right side vertical drain pipe. I think since the drain is now an inch closer to the p-trap, I am now seeing gurgling in the other drain when I run the disposal.
O well, life goes on.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sink

1. I would never have tried to reuse the old drain piping.
2. That disposer would have gone into the junk pile. Whirlaways in general, and that "pencil sharpener" in particular would not be worth my time to reinstall them.

Amopower

Reaction score
Yeah I saw some prices of those Whirlaways online, and they are like $40. I was surprised, I think the lowest price for a decent disposer is at least $100 or more. Well so far it's been fine, but thats the kind of crap you get when builders are making a house.
So why wouldnt you have used the old piping? Everything lined up aside from being an inch too large, and the piping isnt really that old..

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks