New Irrigation System Install? Not reaching cut of pressure.

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by Rod M1, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Rod M1

Rod M1 New Member

When system is in use the pump never reaches the cut of pressure of 60 instead it will stay around 55psi (depending on how much water I'm using). Everything else seems to be working grate. Is that because I reached the perfect recovery rate of the pump? It worked fine at 30/50.

Pump - Goulds J7S set at 40/60
    Bladder Tank - well-x-trol 44 gallon
    Water usage 4 gallons per minute +
    well depth 25ft
  2. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

When the system is in use, the pump SHOULD NEVER reach cut out pressure. So it is working FINE now, and it wasn’t working fine at 30/50 because the pump was cycling on and off while “in use”. Cycling on and off is the worst thing you can do to a pump.

As long as it reaches cut out pressure after the sprinklers go off, your good. And a J7S should be able to make 70 PSI, so 40/60 should be fine.

It kills me that people think a pump should be “cycling properly” when using water. There is no such thing as “proper cycling”. It is not a good thing for the pump to cycle at all while water is being used. Pumps are made to run “continuously”, and will last much longer for doing so. Cycling on and off is what kills pumps.
  3. Rod M1

Rod M1 New Member

Correct any electric motor in fact. Just thought that the system whose designed to cycle at 40/60. I'm 100% ok with it just think its odd and won't to double check my work.

Thanks,