New install Fleck 5600

Users who are viewing this thread

SheeB

Reaction score
Well I have recently purchased a Fleck 5600 with 64,000 grain resin and fine mesh resin and a brine grid. I went overkill on the softener as my hardness is only 8 but the iron is between 3-4 ppm. I did not want to spend the extra money on the additional iron softener if possible. There's only the wife and I and a little one on the way.

I am going to setup the Fleck 5600 over the weekend and was wondering what the settings should be on it for optimal performance?

I also was advised to use 1 cup of Pro Res Care in the brine tank once per month and not use the drip feeder.

Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
Last edited:

SheeB

Reaction score
Yes indeed I do have a well. Brand new as my house is just being finished.

I will read the above links and report back.

Thanks for the additional info.
I don't have suggested settings at this point.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Your system will need to be programmed with efficiency thrown out the window. Several problems occur with your application. Iron would be calculated at 5 GPG per ppm of iron, this means your calculated hardness is going to be 28 GPG, not 8 GPG. Your softener should be regenerated with more salt than if you did not have iron. So the 4-6 pound setting is usually not recommended, rather 8-12 pounds. Regular cleaning of the resin should also be considered with an acid based cleaner. Iron out etc all work fine, a simple drip system can also be used to lessen the iron fouling the resin. What meter did your valve come with? The standard range or extended range? The standard is 0-2100 gallons. Assuming you have that meter, I would recommend the following settings.

Salt at 16 pounds
Meter set to 1400 gallons.

This application will use over 3X the normal amount of salt, please consider installing an iron removal system ahead of the softener in the near future. This type of inefficiency is why salt softeners get banned.

SheeB

Reaction score
Regular cleaning of the resin should also be considered with an acid based cleaner. Iron out etc all work fine, a simple drip system can also be used to lessen the iron fouling the resin. What meter did your valve come with? The standard range or extended range? The standard is 0-2100 gallons. Assuming you have that meter, I would recommend the following settings.

Salt at 16 pounds
Meter set to 1400 gallons.

This application will use over 3X the normal amount of salt, please consider installing an iron removal system ahead of the softener in the near future. This type of inefficiency is why salt softeners get banned.

All I know about the meter is it's a 5600SXT. It's still wrapped on the skid and I'll unpackage it likely tomorrow.

My intent is to add a iron remover system before the softener once funds are available. Building this house has had some serious budget issues and now that we're wrapping up, money is super tight unfortunately.

I see mention of Iron Out/Super Iron Out resin cleaner. I got Pro-Res Care and was wondering how it compares? Also, just want to make sure I do proper resin cleaning so to keep the softener running top notch till the iron remover is installed so what is an ideal "regular cleaning" schedule consist of?

Even though I was advised to not use a drip feeder, should I re-consider installing it?

Reach4

Reaction score
5600SXT is the electronic version of the 5600. So the "2100" reference would not apply to the 5600SXT.

Iron Out is less expensive for the purpose, as I understand it. There may be more to it.

It is probably obvious, but the separate backwashing iron filter will go first in line when you put it in, so leave room when you install the softener.

ditttohead

Reaction score
The 5600 is an electromechanical valve, no electronics, the 5600SXT is an electronic version.

You should set your system to 40,000 grains capacity and the hardness to 28 grains. Set the refill to 12 pounds, or 4 gallons. The 5600 SXT has 4 different flow controls available, but it is usually either .25 or .5 gpm. Look near the brass brine fitting on the valve, it will say what it has inside. It is usually a black or blue sticker. It can also be green or red, but these two are uncommon on the 5600 series.

Once you give me the brine refill color, I will set up a programming guide for you.

SheeB

Reaction score
The 5600 is an electromechanical valve, no electronics, the 5600SXT is an electronic version.

You should set your system to 40,000 grains capacity and the hardness to 28 grains. Set the refill to 12 pounds, or 4 gallons. The 5600 SXT has 4 different flow controls available, but it is usually either .25 or .5 gpm. Look near the brass brine fitting on the valve, it will say what it has inside. It is usually a black or blue sticker. It can also be green or red, but these two are uncommon on the 5600 series.

Once you give me the brine refill color, I will set up a programming guide for you.

Ok, so on the black sticker it says 0.5 gpm 1.5 lb salt/min.

There is also a white sticker with hand written numbers on it. On this sticker it has Injector 3 and then Drain Flow 2.0 gpm

ditttohead

Reaction score
2.0 GPM DLFC, I assume you have cold water. Sounds like they tried to set it up correctly. Injector #3... a little large but it will work fine.
Seriously consider getting an iron removal system ahead of your softener in the near future. The drip feeder is fine, they work good.

The programming below is close enough,

1: set time to 12:01 P.M.
2: push “regen” button
3: push and hold ^ v buttons to enter master program mode
Push “regen” button between each step to get to next step
4: DF Gal, factory set, leave as-is
5: VT dF1b, factory set, leave as-is
6: CT Fd factory set. Leave as-is
7: NT---1 factory set. Leave as-is

8: C Set to 48.0
9: H Set to 28
10: RS Set to SF
11: SF Set to 15

12: DO set to 10
13: RT 2:00 factory set, leave as-is
14: BW Set to 14 ( high iro, low backwash rate due to coledwater, this is longer than normal)
15: BD 60 factory set, leave as-is
16: RR Set to 5
17: BF set to 11 for .5 BLFC

SheeB

Reaction score
2.0 GPM DLFC, I assume you have cold water. Sounds like they tried to set it up correctly. Injector #3... a little large but it will work fine.
Seriously consider getting an iron removal system ahead of your softener in the near future. The drip feeder is fine, they work good.

Thanks for the programming instructions info Dittohead. As I went through the programming last night, the plumber must've not programmed much as most settings were different from the ones you provided.

*note* I see in a previous post you said to put the capacity to 40, but in the programming its 48? I have it set to 48 as per programming instructions currently.

Last edited:

ditttohead

Reaction score
48 is 48000 grains, this is based on 8 pounds of salt per cu. ft. You can use 40,000 based on 6 pounds of salt per cu. ft., but since you are using it for iron removal, I prefer a higher salt setting.

SheeB

Reaction score
48 is 48000 grains, this is based on 8 pounds of salt per cu. ft. You can use 40,000 based on 6 pounds of salt per cu. ft., but since you are using it for iron removal, I prefer a higher salt setting.

Thanks again for explaining the theory behind the programming.

The plumber has recommended an iron system made by Hydrotech which uses some kind of air bubble technology? These any good? Do I need a 1 cu ft resin model or 1.5 cu ft model for my iron removal needs?

Reach4

Reaction score
My filter uses Centaur Carbon media, and has been very effective for me for iron and sulfur. I have no manganese as far as I know. I will message you with what I got. I spent $300 for a very nice copper installation from a plumber the seller had a lot of experience with. This included connecting to some Big Blue filter housings that I had already mounted. They are in line after the filter. They are overkill, but I did not know what was needed. It was comforting to see the clean elements after 13 months. In retrospect, I think I would have put just 1 housing there. I have 3 housings, and I left the first one empty.

ditttohead

Reaction score
My preference I san easily expandable system. Leave some room to add additional equipment if needed. Iron removal can be easy or difficult based on many factors, too many to go through here. A simple Birm, Ferrilite, Catalox lite or similar system may be all that is needed. Additional oxidation may also be needed. The Air bubble... not sure which system, get a model number but Air injection is effective but can also cause a little extra maintenance. Here is one of our best selling systems for iron removal. It is a little overkill but highly effective in most applications. http://www.impactwaterproducts.com/#!Hybrid-FCjpg/zoom/c1vlw/images2k

SheeB

Reaction score

So the wife has been noticing mild staining in the toilets. Anything that I should consider tweaking with the programming possibly? Maybe reduce the DO value to something lower? We do not use a whole lot of water with the two of us here.

I've also installed the 1oz drip feeder with Pro ResCare.

_John_

Reaction score
maybe, but IMO you're seeing why an iron removal system is recommended.

SheeB

Reaction score
maybe, but IMO you're seeing why an iron removal system is recommended.

Indeed I agree. But with Christmas around the corner and bills coming in like mad, if the staining has to stay and the softener is maxxed out then that's how it will stay for the time being.

Reach4

Reaction score
Until you add an iron filter before your softener, you should do regular treatments of your softener with Super Iron Out. Search regarding that. Maybe the Pro ResCare should be an alternative, but I think you are saying that has not been doing enough.

ditttohead

Reaction score
If the wife notices staining in the toilets, maybe a Christmas gift?

toilet-brush.jpg

:)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks