New HWH advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Afireinside

Reaction score
Looking for some input a trusted cousin installs HVAC and HWH (also works for a large local copany as his main gig) Ill be Replacing a 17 year old 50 gal AO Smith nat gas that costs $22/month to operate but stripped the anode rod trying to replace and dont want to risk a flooded newly renovated basement due to a old HWH and it isent keeping up as well as before. Will get smelly water every few months if i dont drain the tank.

He can get me a State condensing 76k btu .90 eff nat gas 50 gallon that he is relocating it into a corner and running the electrical for power vent. installed $1950 dosent have the best rateings online can only get State.

Or i can get in and install myself a Bradford White 50 gallon electric .93 eff also relocated into corner. For $550.

I like the simplicity of the electric and lower initial cost, little or nothing to break/repair. But i like the recovery of the Nat gas just hate the upfront costs and needing a condensate drain, intake and exhaust many different parts fan, sensors ect.....

Are the 15 year costs generally equal? Close? Or is electric alot more? Worth doing the nat gas? He likes his electric HWH BUT he is on costly propane. He understands my concerns and said both are fine choices.

I see most people reccomend going to or staying with natural gas. Any other ideas? Thanks for the advice!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Natural gas is a lot less expensive per year. If you're worried about cost, why not replace with what you have been using?
You didn't say if you have the standard gas tank there, but if so, it's way better than electric. And when you can you can install the electric in it's place, does it already have a 220 electric supply wired for that location?

Afireinside

Reaction score
Yes sorry existing rusty old tank is a 50 gal nat gas tank. We still want a tank. Well i want to eliminate a atmo vent to block up the underside of the chimney run we get freezing air rushing into the mech room in basement all winter due to clearance flue needs to be from wood. So want a ext vent/intake like our 96% 2 stage nat gas furnace. But the panel is 12 feet away on the same wall the outlet would be and the 240v would be simple to run

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks