New Hot Water Heater Or Prv Valve Issue

Users who are viewing this thread

ACaland

Reaction score
I recently had a new gas hot water heater (apparently the dreaded flame-lock whirlpool) installed with a new thermal expansion tank.

On hot-water demand once the gas flame starts the heater makes a popping sound followed by tuning fork ringing sound. After about 10 seconds all sounds from the water heater stop. Here is a video:

The installer came and adjusted an internal pipe of the heater. The heater still makes the initial pop but the bell sound is decreased most of the time. Additionally the mainline PRV valve (which was replaced earlier this year) is making a clicking while hot water at high flow but not low hot water flow (click click click clunk click). I hooked up a pressure gauge and it is constant around 55 psi. It was not making this sound prior to the HW heater being installed.

Any ideas what is going on? Is there a problem with the PRV, water heater or both?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The clicking sound is probably the hot water's "heat trap" inside the hot water outlet. Not sure what could make the other sounds without being there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks