New Homeowner .. Need help with a new water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

underemployed

Reaction score
Hi Guys
we recently brought a new condo and were looking into replacing the existing electric water heater.

we were looking into Tankless but we dont have enough circuits (100 Amp only) to support it. Also the hybrid ones seemed like a good option but we dont have enough space to install it.

So the only option is to use a electric water heater. we dont have gas in the condo , its all electric

i was wondering if you guys had any options what i could look at ? some specifications i was looking at is

- 40 gallon capacity since its just the 2 of us

- something that is efficient, maybe even has a setting to turn the temp down when we are not at home almost 12 hrs a day

- i was told there are water heaters that sense a leak and turn the valve off automatically to avoid a huge mess

can you guys please help me out with a few recommendations i could look at ?

Thanks guys
S

Reach4

Reaction score
You really might do better first asking the condo board about recommendations or requirements. If you go off on your own, you might have to get that ripped out and replaced by what they call for.

underemployed

Reaction score
@Reach4 .. its a 2 family condo unit, so the "association" is just us and the family in the other unit, so thats not going to be a problem

@Smoky .. thanks for the link, i will definitely look it up

is rheem better or AO Smith. I know AO Smith are more expensive and not available in any of the big box store so i will have to look for a contractor.

Also i was looking at the rheem series and was wondering if the performance plus is worth the extra $70 over the performance series

thanks for your help guys
S

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Electric water heaters are efficient and generally speaking last longer than natural gas ones. The only downside is that electricity is notably more expensive in some areas of the country. Most water heaters are well insulated and use very little energy when water is not actually being used.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
With electric WH, it's mostly pot luck as to how long they will last. Pay more and you may get a second anode rod and a brass drain valve verses a plastic one. On many, the length of the warranty is a function of how much you pay, and some can be extended just by buying more.

http://www.taco-hvac.com/products/hydronic_accessories/wags_valve/index.html

can be installed and will shut the water off. You need to install it with a pan to contain the water so that the valve can sense the leak by the water rising. It works on the same principle as the automatic life vests used on airplanes, so no power required.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Turning an electric hot water heater down for 12 hours /day doesn't save much money, if any. The only way it can lower the already low standby loss is if you turn it off THEN take a shower, so that the average temp inside the tank during standby is low.

If you want to save energy, a 50 gallon heat pump hot water heater can work, as long as it's in a large enough room to support it, not stuffed in some closet or a tiny laundry room. A 50 gallon GE Geospring uses less than 1/3 the amount of electricity of a standard electric HW heater, drawing over 2/3 of the heat from the air in the room where it is installed, dehumdifying and cooling that air. About half the year in a NJ location that dehumidification & modest cooling factor is a plus. During the 4-5 months of real heating season it's increasing the load on the space heating equipment, so the cost of the 2/3 fraction of energy drawn from the air is priced at whatever your heating fuel and heating efficiency is, but in 9 cases out of 10 it's still a net cost win, even in the dead of winter.

Reach4

Reaction score
i was wondering if you guys had any options what i could look at ?
Some power companies install smart meters. Those are often mandated by the utility commission. Some of these utilities will offer a program where the the rates are "real time" rates or "dynamic pricing" that vary according to complex factors, but mainly the variations in load for most places. The rates would typically peak about 4 or 5 PM and be minimum about 4 AM. Those usually offer a system (sometimes free) to shut down your AC when the power rates get above a certain threshold. Maybe you could get that for the WH, or maybe you could have a timer that controls the heater based on the typical cycles. You can select to get a text message or email when rates go up.

Your utility might not offer that to residences yet, but it will probably come. The advantage for the company is that users who can use less during peak times can mean that less peak generating capacity is needed. The inconvenience to the user gets offset by lower rates. But high rates can occur in January when its really cold out. Besides people using their furnace blowers more, many run small space heaters which draw a lot of power.

MARSappliance

Reaction score
Since mid 2014 all manufacturers have had to go to new NECCA III standards – in order to reach the new Eficience standards not heater have had to double the insulation – which now results in water unused staying at temp longer – as far as Reem verses AO Smith – Reem only caries a 1 yr parts warentee – then 6,9,12 for tank – I was told by a home depot employee for what ir is worth that – parts are only covered for Reem if a licensed technician submits a report on a defective part in writing – I have not personaly confirmed this.

AO – Smith was purchased by American – therefore – AO – Smith=American, Whirlpool, Frigidaire, US Craft master, Envirotemp – American offeres parts warranty for the duration of the tank warranty – with the exception of 1yr -3yr contractor grade heaters -

- your best bet is a standard electric without bells and wistels – less parts less to go bad – no computer to screw up -

- if you want super efficiency you can look into heat pump electric water heater – they use 1/3 the power of standard electrics but cost between 1500-3000 dollars.

Mobile Appliance Repair Services

montelatici

Reaction score
If you go with the Rheem 40 gallon, the more expensive one has 5,500 watt elements while the less expensive one has 4,500 watt elements. The more expensive one has, obviously, a faster recovery time. Plus, the more expensive one may have the ability to interface to a wireless module which allows you to monitor the heater from anywhere there is wireless access. It may be a gimmick, but I found it cool to check what my water heater was doing when I was in Europe this summer! Also, if there is a leak the leak sensor will contact you wirelessly. Don't know if you would be able to fly back to your home but you might be able to call a neighbor or something.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, if you opt for the higher wattage, you may need to run new service wire and a bigger breaker, so consider that into the cost equation. Often, a larger tank ends up a better buy.

montelatici

Reaction score
Chances are he already has a 30 amp breaker and 10 AWG wiring. Plus, it is never a better buy to buy a water heater larger than you need. Keeping 10 extra gallons (40 versus 50 gallons) water at 120 degrees for the next 10 years is not trivial. About $8 a month.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
For 2 people, 40 gal is plenty. Two people can get by with 30 gal, but 40 would be better. 50 gal will be OK if you are thinking on selling, if you you have frequent guests or use hot water a lot.

What brand? buy the cheapest one. Expensive water heaters don't necessarily mean better and trouble free service.

montelatici

Reaction score
Not to belabor the point, but the idea behind 5,500 watt elements in 40 gallon WH is to provide actual performance close/similar to a 50 gallon WH (with 4,500 Watt elements) but yet not have to keep an extra 10 gallons of water at 120 degrees.

Widgit Maker

Reaction score
On the subject of 5,500 heating elements.
Readers should note that 4,500 watts divided by 240 volts is 18.75 amps.
5,500 watts divided by 240 volts is 22.9 amps.
Well below the NEC 80% demand loading rule on a 30 amp circuit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks