New Home water pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

jreuther

Reaction score
I noticed that where the water supply comes into my new house there is a PRV with a relief pressure of 125 psi. On the Manablock plumbing pipe installed in the house the max psi is 100 psi. It only makes since to me that the PRV should be at a limit below the capacity of the plumbing pipes maybe around 60 psi. Looking for thoughts. Thanks. jr

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The relief pressure is not likely the current setting, it is a point where, no matter where you've got it set, it will limit. Go to one of the big box stores or a local hardware or plumbing supply store and pick up a gauge. You can get one that will screw onto the hose connection at the washing machine, hot water heater drain, or outside faucet for about $10. Use it to check your pressure. THe prv is adjustable and is probably already set at somewhere around 60 pounds or so.

Note, with the PRV and a system that can't handle pressure...you probably want to consider several things. First, if you don't have an expansion tank before the hot water heater, put one in. THen, consider seeing if you can find a T&P valve for the WHeater that will vent at lower than normal. Both will help keep pressure in check.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Relief or Reducing?

We must know for sure that we are talking about the same thing.

jreuther mentiond "Pressure relief valve".

The jadnashua comment "The prv is adjustable and is probably already set at somewhere around 60 pounds or so." implies a Pressure Reducing Valve.

A Pressure Relief Valve dumps water when it exceeds the pressure. That is not something you want with a municipal system that has a virtually unlimited supply of water.

What do you have? Relief or Reducing?

jreuther

Reaction score
Relief or Reduce

I have to guess that it's a relief as it is located on an end and not inline of the supply. I will try to read the small print on the valve to make the determination. Thanks for the comments. jr

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks