New home sprinkler system

Discussion in 'Irrigation / Sprinkler Forum' started by shakedown, Feb 14, 2007.

1. shakedown

shakedown New Member

I will be moving into my first home soon, and it has a lawn sprinkler system installed. I had the home inspected, and in the report it was noted that the sprinkler system poured water from the vaccum breaker. I have a picture of this and wondered what the problem could be. I have been doing some research online and cant figure out if its a AVP or PVB or what. If I attach a pic could someone determine the type and possibily the solution to what would cause water to come out of there and not any of the sprinkler heads? I'm pretty handy and would like to repair this on my own. Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. speedbump

speedbump Previous member

It looks like a vacuum breaker to me. It's no doubt just stuck or sludged up. You can take the lit off and check it out.

bob...
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

thing

It is a vacuum breaker, but it is an atmospheric one which cannot have the irrigation valves installed after it. It is leaking because it is worn out, however, not because it is the wrong one. Replace it with a pressure vacuum breaker.
  4. ed the head

ed the head I have been in irrigation over 25 years

sprinkler system

Hj is right on the money
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

vb

Oh, and dump the PVC piping above the ground, or at least paint it or it will become brittle and snap off the first time someone trips over it.