New home. Have two quotes with two different systems full details inside

Users who are viewing this thread

Datarock

Reaction score
Good morning,

I am having a home built and will have it pre-plumbed for a water softener. The builder can put one in but it's over priced and generic (GE or similar)

So I have received quotes from multiple highly rated companies in the area and have narrowed it down to two.

The home is in San Antonio TX and on SAWS City Water (San Antonio Water System.) The hardness is about 18 ppm with no iron that I am aware of and have been told that is not a concern by these companies. I had inquired on a unit or setup that would allow me to filter the water and soften it.

Company A-
They offer a product that is $2500. It has a filter built into the main unit that back washes with the rest of the softener for low to no maintenance. Or just a softener for $1495 installed.
Here is a link to their site to compare their products. Not sure which is which.
http://www.aquamanwater.com/water-treatment-systems
He states, he prefers the main unit to have everything all in one to help with water flow, ease of use and no need to replace anything other then salt.

Company B
For $1895 they will do a 48,000 Clack valve softener in a Enpress LLC vortech tank. Before the softener will be a 9 X 48 in and out clack tank with carbon media inside. Average lifespan of about 5 years then a couple hundred to replace that media.
He stated the flow rate would not be dramatically changed and that when you combine it all in one the brine gets mixed with the carbon and it's useless.
He also stated in a system like this, I can bypass the filter every couple of months and shock treat my pipes with chlorine. Honestly, I had never thought of that. If I am removing the chlorine then how are my pipes staying bacteria free.

So, what are your thoughts.
Which system looks better?
What do you guys think of shocking my pipes?
How do the prices look etc?

Ask any questions and I will try to reply for you.
Thank you,
Ron

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Company B but... get it with a Clack backwashing valve. It will add a a little cost but up or downflow carbon systems without a backwash are not the best design.

I can argue any of the three ways, upflow, downflow, or downflow with backwash and can probably convince the majority of people that any of the three are better than the others but... we manufacture all three designs and we also get back equipment for inspection and... I have also worked for companies that installed all three designs for 30 years...

Backwashing carbon is much better than non backwashing. It only needs to backwash every 30 days or so. When I get systems into the warehouse here that have been in the field for a couple years without backwashing, they are very nasty and certainly not something you would want to drink from or bathe in. Upflow carbon lessens this problem but the poor water quality, channeling etc... not worth it.

If company B is any good, they will be glad to accommodate you and will only state that the cost is slightly higher as the only real disadvantage.

As to sanitizing the pipes, do you have copper, per, cpvc? In general sanitizing the pipes annually should be done but this rarely occurs.

Datarock

Reaction score
The piping is pex.
Thanks for the response. I will inquire with them once I chat with them again!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks