New Handles & Spout

Users who are viewing this thread

stressed

Reaction score
I'm a complete newbie to home repair/remodeling, but I'm learning and any help would be appreciated. :D

The tub handles and spouts were replaced in both my baths in the last 6 years or so. The problem is that the parts used were cheap and now look unattractive. Can I replace just the handles and spouts w/something nicer, or will the whole faucet need to be replaced? If I can replace just the exterior parts, are most compatible w/each other so it won't be hard to find replacements? Can I buy just the pieces, or will I need to buy a whole set and just use the pieces I need? Lots of questions because I'm lost. :confused:

TIA!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you pull the handles off and bring them to a hardware store you may be able to find somthing nicer.

However, if the home is older there may not be very many choices left to you.
Most replacement handles there are the clear acrylic.

Another option would be to replace the valve with a new one. If you have access to the back of the wall, you will have an easier time.

If you have to access from the front, there are "remodel plates" that will cover up the hole needed to work on the replacement.
Moen makes one for their single handles faucets.
You can even get remodel plates for the two handle faucets.

e-plumber

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Faucet Upgrade

If only the tub handles and spout were replaced, "fit-all" types were probably used, especially if it doesn't look good in such a short period of time. If you can identify the faucet brand, many times it is more efficient to purchase a complete faucet (exact brand & model) use only the trim and scrap the brass valve body.

stressed

Reaction score
Yep, The cheap acrylics are on there now

But I think everything on the inside was already changed. Just with a cheap set that came w/the acrylics. I guess I'll remove one and take it with me to see if I can find something nicer to fit. If not, I'll try buying a whole set-up and scrapping what I don't use. Thanks for the help!

Bob's HandyGuy

Reaction score
Matching handles is a job I would not wish on a friend. They do make universal chrome/acrylic replacements. If you try to mix models, the hard part is matching the grooves on the end of the stem. Also, the distance from where the handle ends to the eschutcheon is tough to match. It seems every manufacturer has a unique design. As someone suggested, I would buy a new, good quality faucet that is to your liking. Good Luck!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks