new half bath plumbing

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Zenman, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Zenman

Zenman New Member

I am look for some guidance with a half bath plumbing layout. This will be all new plumbing and tying in to the 4 inch sewer line in the basement. Also this is on the first floor and no plumbing will be tying in above this. In the diagram I put a cleanout in the vanity instead of the end-of-run in the basement because I may someday finish the basement.

I am in NJ and under UPC. Please see attached images.

A few questions;
    1. Will this pass UPC?
    2. Is a 3" cleanout required?
    3. any suggestions on a better layout?

Thanks for your time!

Attached Files:

2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    Dwv

1`. It should unless the inspector has a problem with the sanitary tee beneath the toilet, AND/OR you run out of room and cannot connect the toilet flange to the tee.

2. YES.

3. Not without seeing the actual job site.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. shacko

shacko Master Plumber-Gas Fitter

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
    Half Bath

Zenman: Looks fine. :)

5. Zenman

Zenman New Member

Thanks for the replies...

Regarding the sanitary tee, actually I was thinking of using a wye, but now see that it wont fit vertically. What does this situation call for, a tee or a wye?

The floor joists are 2x10s, 16 inches on center and the toilet flange is all the way to one side of the joist, so I just might have enough room to roll the wye (or tee) on its side and connect the flange that way.

So I guess my question is, should I use a wye or tee?

6. shacko

I would use the tee, most codes will allow a tee under a toilet.

7. Zenman

Zenman New Member

I'm surprised at the replies suggesting to use a Tee on its back. I remember reading that a Tee should never be on its back unless it was a dry vent. (I guess there are exceptions to any rule.) A couple more questions if you don't mind...

1. Why a Tee as opposed to a Wye in this situation?

2. Would using a Wye not meet UPC code?

Thanks!

8. shacko

You answered your own question about the tee, more room, a wye or combine fitting will meet code, the use of tees gets a little tricky depending on the application.

9. Zenman

Zenman New Member

Ok thanks. :) If I can fit a Wye, then I will use that, otherwise I will use the Tee. I'll dry fit and test to see if it will fit it. Like I said previously, I think I can roll the Wye on its side and then have the toilet flange come in via a closet 90 elbow. Thanks for everyones time and expertise!

10. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    Y

There are several ways to install a "Y" in conjuction with other fittings to make it fit.