new half bath plumbing

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Zenman, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Zenman

Zenman New Member

I am look for some guidance with a half bath plumbing layout. This will be all new plumbing and tying in to the 4 inch sewer line in the basement. Also this is on the first floor and no plumbing will be tying in above this. In the diagram I put a cleanout in the vanity instead of the end-of-run in the basement because I may someday finish the basement.

I am in NJ and under UPC. Please see attached images.

A few questions;
    1. Will this pass UPC?
    2. Is a 3" cleanout required?
    3. any suggestions on a better layout?

Thanks for your time!

Attached Files:

2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Dwv

1`. It should unless the inspector has a problem with the sanitary tee beneath the toilet, AND/OR you run out of room and cannot connect the toilet flange to the tee.

2. YES.

3. Not without seeing the actual job site.
  3. shacko

shacko Master Plumber-Gas Fitter

Half Bath

Zenman: Looks fine. :)
  4. Zenman

Zenman New Member

Thanks for the replies...

Regarding the sanitary tee, actually I was thinking of using a wye, but now see that it wont fit vertically. What does this situation call for, a tee or a wye?

The floor joists are 2x10s, 16 inches on center and the toilet flange is all the way to one side of the joist, so I just might have enough room to roll the wye (or tee) on its side and connect the flange that way.

So I guess my question is, should I use a wye or tee?
  5. shacko

I would use the tee, most codes will allow a tee under a toilet.
  6. Zenman

Zenman New Member

I'm surprised at the replies suggesting to use a Tee on its back. I remember reading that a Tee should never be on its back unless it was a dry vent. (I guess there are exceptions to any rule.) A couple more questions if you don't mind...

1. Why a Tee as opposed to a Wye in this situation?

2. Would using a Wye not meet UPC code?

Thanks!
  7. shacko

You answered your own question about the tee, more room, a wye or combine fitting will meet code, the use of tees gets a little tricky depending on the application.
  8. Zenman

Zenman New Member

Ok thanks. :) If I can fit a Wye, then I will use that, otherwise I will use the Tee. I'll dry fit and test to see if it will fit it. Like I said previously, I think I can roll the Wye on its side and then have the toilet flange come in via a closet 90 elbow. Thanks for everyones time and expertise!
  9. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Y

There are several ways to install a "Y" in conjuction with other fittings to make it fit.