New Glacier Bay Pressure Assist 1.0 GPF Toilet N2310E or plumbing Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

chris885

Reaction score
Hi,
I bought a 35 year old home last year with 35 year old Kohler toilets still installed. I have just replaced one of them not only to save water but to solve a weaker flush from the old kohler one, ..powder blue in color by the way (another reason to replace it).
I installed a new Galcier bay 1.0 pressure assited model and so far the flush is just awful.
The water pressure when the toilet is flushed seems fine, in fact , I think it make be too powerful.
Everytime I flush there is paper and other matter that re appears. It's almost like the powerful jet of water is shredding the paper and other stuff into small peices and kicking them back into the bowl.
I'm thinking maybe the old Kohler toilet was not such a weak flusher after all. Maybe my drain lines are partially clogged or plumbed incorrectly.
I went into the crawl space yesterday to have a look at the plumbing and it seems like there might be too many turns in the line before it get to the main stack.
Maybe I just got a bad replacement toilet, ..I just don't know at this point. Any thoughts? Chris
Pictures attached of the pipes

Attachments

• Toil1.JPG
    Toil1.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 3,581
  • T2.bmp
    54.9 KB · Views: 3,535
  • glacier_bay_press.jpg
    glacier_bay_press.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 7,811
Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There is nothing wrong with the pipes that are draining the toilet.
I find that quite a few pressure assist toilets will shred paper and waste matter and float it back into the bowl.
Consumer Reports "Best Buy" Eljer Aqua Saver with PF/2 pressure assist did the same thing.

It's fine as long as you only flush wipes and sponges.
Kinda sucks for real world use though.

And it's just for these examples, that I supply a report on toilets, so homeowners don't waste money on "un-tested" products.
I consider any toilet tested in a lab, as "un-tested"
At some point, someone has to get down and dirty and really use them for any of it to be useful.

Glacier Bay 1.0 GPF Pressure Assist toilet N2310E with Sloan Flushmate IV

I installed a new Galcier bay 1.0 pressure assited model and so far the flush is just awful.
The water pressure when the toilet is flushed seems fine, in fact , I think it make be too powerful.
Everytime I flush there is paper and other matter that re appears. It's almost like the powerful jet of water is shredding the paper and other stuff into small peices and kicking them back into the bowl.
chris885
attachment.php

Last edited:

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Glacier Bay makes some of the worse junk in the plumbing field!, thats your problem!

chris885

Reaction score
I have a $98.00 Glacier Bay 1.28 GPF model that has been in use for over a year in our half bath. Not one problem so far. It takes what I give it and then asks for more.
That's why I went with the same brand.
I realize it's not what the pros would use but i'm very satisfied with my other GB model.

shacko
Glacier Bay makes some of the worse junk in the plumbing field!, thats your problem!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
In most cases, any toilet flushing problem is in the toilet itself, unless the line is plugged and water is backing up, which usually shows up in the bathtub or shower.

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
I have a $98.00 Glacier Bay 1.28 GPF model that has been in use for over a year in our half bath. Not one problem so far. It takes what I give it and then asks for more.
That's why I went with the same brand.
I realize it's not what the pros would use but i'm very satisfied with my other GB model.

shacko

If you are happy, fine, but every Glacier Bay fixture I've installed ( I did not buy them) had a problem with it. The problem with someone else buying is that they get the cost of getting another fixture! :(

dmhyde1

Reaction score
Glacier Bay pressure assisted toilet

We just installed the Glacier Bay pressure assited toilet from Home Depot and are experiencing the shredded toilet paper coming back after flushing too. Does anyone have an answer on this one? dmhyde1
Hi,
I bought a 35 year old home last year with 35 year old Kohler toilets still installed. I have just replaced one of them not only to save water but to solve a weaker flush from the old kohler one, ..powder blue in color by the way (another reason to replace it).
I'm thinking maybe the old Kohler toilet was not such a weak flusher after all. Maybe my drain lines are partially clogged or plumbed incorrectly.
I went into the crawl space yesterday to have a look at the plumbing and it seems like there might be too many turns in the line before it get to the main stack.
Maybe I just got a bad replacement toilet, ..I just don't know at this point. Any thoughts? Chris
Pictures attached of the pipes

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A pressure assisted toilet relies on a brief, high-velocity, (supply water) pressure assisted water jet. Not much you can do to avoid shreading things. A good (and not all are good!) gravity flush toilet can work as well, if not better, without those side effects. A pressure assisted toilet does nothing after the flush to help speed things down the drain pipe, only in getting them into the drain. Many people think it will help deficient pipes, but they are deluding themselves. So, if you consider the supposed advantages (improved evacuation - doesn't really prove true!) verses the disadvantages (noisey, more expensive to repair, shreading things), they often aren't that great of a bargain.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Paper shredding? Not all toilets do that, but I've seen a few pressure assist toilets that do that.
That's one of the reasons that not many of my customers buy pressure assist.
It's pretty annoying to have the bits come back after the first flush.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks