New GFCI installation not working.

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by Artie, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Artie

Artie New Member

I just installed two new GFCI's in our kitchen. Neither works. I can measure 120VAC right on the terminals, and black and white are on the correct terminals. Also, I definitely used the "Line" terminals. The "load" terminals are masked off with yellow tape which I didn't remove. They're just completely dead. These are the kind with the little light on the front. It doesn't light either.

I could understand if just one was bad out of the box, but both! Any ideas of something else I might be doing wrong?
  2. Artie

Artie New Member

Nevermind. My wife just fixed it. (I hate when that happens.) In my defense, I'll say that the only GFCI's I've ever seen before were in hotel rooms. On those units, the "reset" button was always popped out if tripped. On these, the button remains in the same physical position whether its tripped or not. Its the little LED that indicates "tripped" operation or not. Problem solved . . . reset button pushed.