New Gerber toilet installation?

Users who are viewing this thread

sjcookpausa

Reaction score
After checking multiple things both inside and outside the house, the conclusion is to install a new toilet. The toilet (25 yo Mansfield) is just not flushing properly -- need to keep the plunger close at hand! The plumber recommended a Gerber toilet. Having read the reviews on this site, I see this is a good choice and am comfortable with the recommendation. But, what's the going rate for this project? I've not dealt with this specific plumber before. I have no reason to doubt him, but $600 seemed a bit high. Thoughts? Thank you for your help!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
IF there isn't a problem with the toilet flange, replacing a toilet is pretty straightforward. Something a homeowner can do, and many do. If there are problems, then a plumber is called for. If this isn't your only toilet, and you are at all handy, I'd try it myself. If there aren't any complications, it is about a 1/2 hour job (not counting the plumber's travel time). If there are problems, it could be several hours to fix. Depending on where you live, this may also include a permit, and the time to stick around for an inspection, so, not knowing the full details, it's hard to say about the price. The hardest part about replacing a toilet is often getting the old bolts off - they are often corroded. A hack saw or sawsall works to get them off and don't be afraid to break the toilet in the process, since you'll be throwing it away anyway. My unprofessional opinion.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
top_change21.gif

Pricing for plumbers will vary depending on location.

My pricing is here, but it may not work for everyone.

If I'm working downtown, there are other considerations that add to the equation. How close can you park to the work? Is parking free or do I have to find a "by the hour" lot?

Sometimes I take a ferry to the job. This week I took one to Port Orchard, later in the week we went to Camano Island.

I think replacements take longer than JD does.
The job isn't done until the caulking is finished, the check is in hand, and the boxes and old toilets are disposed of.

I have some basic pricing when I'm working, that allows for consistent pricing, and the ability to focus on the customer and the work being done without having to look at the watch while I'm working.

Last edited:

sjcookpausa

Reaction score
Thanks!

Thanks for the input. Not being handy around toilets at all <LOL!>, the plumbers need to tackle this one. I've accepted this will be a "job". I live in the center of a city -- so, no ferry involved -- just parking! If I'd chosen a Kohler (which you rated as lower anyway) the price would be even higher!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Jut one question, which Gerber is the plumber quoting you?
The pressure assist Gerber works fine.

update 2019
The Gerber Avalanche works fine too.

Last edited:

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Pros and Cons of caulking

Terry said:

I think replacements take longer than JD does.
The job isn't done until the caulking is finished, the check is in hand, and the boxes and old toilets are disposed of.

[/QUOTE]

Terry,
I've heard arguments for and against caulking around the base of the toilet. To me it always seemed like a good idea, to avoid having liquids (from those with bad aim!) seep under the toilet. Others, however, believe that if you have a leaking seal at the toilet flange, and the toilet base is caulked, you might not know about the leak for a long time, until the subfloor is damaged.

Have you had any problems like that from caulking?​

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
drake_angle2.jpg

In Washington State, they don't allow caulking around the entire perimeter of the toilet.

I have come across toilets that were ready to fall though the floor, caused by leaking seals that were never detected.
I've even heard that when they saw water seeping from the bottom, that they thought they had fixed the problem by caulking around the toilet, which only kept the water under the toilet where it could do the most damage.

The requirement in Washington is to caulk around the front of the bowl, for reasons that you mentioned, water from bad aim, or water on the floor from someone taking a shower.

Last edited:

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Excellent compromise! Serves both purposes. That's what I'll do next time.

Thanks for the info, and for maintaining a VERY informative site!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks