New GE water softener not softening, the GPH meter is going full cycle in seconds

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by jasper7821, Sep 24, 2012.

1. jasper7821

jasper7821 New Member

Again, thank you very much and I really wish I did my research before hacking into the ceiling. Now I need to have a drywall company come patch my three holes.
    I did not take the softener apart, after testing the whole system last night I figured it was working as it should be but something else was the issue.
    Thanks again.
  2. jasper7821

jasper7821 New Member

SUCCESS. Thank you guys for the advise.
    I found a bar of soap at the house and tested it out. I washed my hand with hot water since no hot water was used yet and the water heater was filled with hard water.
    Then I washed my hand with cold water and it was the slimy feeling I missed.
    YES, I NOW HAVE SOFT WATER.
    I guess it was my fault by reading the back of the TDS meter and it saying that 200ppm or so was hard water and my reading being in the 400's I for sure had hard water.

Thanks again everyone.
  3. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

The last TDS meter I bought took a short trip across the basement and self destructed on contact with the foundation wall LOL
  4. jasper7821

jasper7821 New Member

I hear ya, this has been a NIGHTMARE !
    I'm glad I now know my softener is working correctly.
  5. ditttohead

ditttohead Water systems designer, R&D

I use this one, not one you should throw across the room though. UltrameterII4P.jpg
    I save that kind of abuse for my HM digital ones.