New Gas range problem.. pipe size

Users who are viewing this thread

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
Guy wants range hooked up. He has a line which ran to a fireplace which he took out. This line is 10 feet from where the range will go. Problem is its 1/2" od copper and will be about 45 feet total length from 1 inch black pipe to the range. Btu of range is 60,000. Meter is 100 feet to range. And it's a finished house. Putting a 2 pound meter will be last resort

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Where do you find 5/8" plumbing copper tubing? IF you are using the gas table correctly, you do NOT change the size of the feed line unless you are making an additional fixture connection.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Too small for a gas range. IF you need 3/4" to start the run, you need it ALL the way to the stove. DO NOT use copper for a gas line if it is going to be on the exterior of the building where it could be damaged.

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
Too small for a gas range. IF you need 3/4" to start the run, you need it ALL the way to the stove. DO NOT use copper for a gas line if it is going to be on the exterior of the building where it could be damaged.
There's lots of houses in my town where copper was used on exterior wall. I'm pretty sure code permits this

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
In my city, we use only black iron pipes, connectors, yellow tape and pipe dope for gas. In certain cases (or inspectors), you might get by with galvanized.

Price wise, black iron is less expensive than copper or galvanized.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks