New full bath design for small space. Clearance question for corner sinks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Khiman

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm designing a full bath for a small space. I would like to keep it as small as possible.
Trying to fit a 30 x 60 tub, toilet, and sink in a space about 5 x 6 feet.

I have looked at the codes required: P2705.1 and R307.1

My questions is how a corner sink relates to this:

"5. Water closets, lavatories and bidets. A water closet, lavatory or bidet shall not be set closer than 15 inches (381 mm) from its center to any side wall, partition or vanity or closer than 30 inches (762 mm) center-to-center between adjacent fixtures. There shall be at least a 21-inch (533 mm) clearance in front of the water closet, lavatory or bidet to any wall, fixture or door."

How do you measure the 15 inch clearance from center of a corner sink?

The picture below shows my proposed layout

These are the specs for the corner sink:

Barclay Petite Corner Wall Hung Basin Sink White

Petite Corner Wall Hung Basin Sink White
Exterior: W 17 3/8" x D 14 3/8"
Interior: W 9 3/4" x D 6 1/8" x H 4 7/8"
Sides: 12 3/8"
drilled for single-hole faucet

Meets or exceeds
the following
specifications: ASME A112.19.2
2008 and CSA B45.1-08 for
ceramic plumbing fixtures

Thanks

WGCG6f4.png

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't know, but I am suspecting the red box would be the exclusion zone including 24 inches from the front of the toilet. I added the blue and orange lines in case they might help in further discussions.
huge2.png

Khiman

Reaction score
I've thought about a small wall hung sink on the opposite wall of the toilet instead.

Another layout idea:

I appreciate your comments.

Thanks.

CzlMlQ8.png

Suceress

Reaction score
You might want to play around using furniture or boxes to substitute the toilet, tub and sink. Set them at the measurements you plan to use and then move around and see which feels the most natural. If you are comfortable standing up and turning to use the corner sink and have plenty of room (without worry of hitting the backs of your legs on the toilet if/when you step back from the sink). Another issue to consider is the location of the plumbing vents that will need to be in the walls. The sink next to the toilet might be easier for the vents, but there are multiple factors to consider.

You might also want to try a program called Google Sketchup 2014. You can take your 2d drawing and turn it in to a 3D model. I'm not yet sure how to import it, but once it is imported you can grab the walls at the top and drag them upward (after selecting the tool to stretch the object and make it 3D) and as you pull, it will tell you how many inches it is and such. Then you can pan and pivot the image to look at it from different angles. The version I got came with a little person already in the template so you can see how a person would look in the room.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I think your second suggestion would likely pass muster with the inspector. He has the last word, but it must be based on the codes...without reading them directly, based on the items you listed, I think it would work, but I'm not the inspector.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks