New Fleck 7000 or put old Rainsoft Classic Apollo back in service

Users who are viewing this thread

pex4me

Reaction score
I have a 20 year old Rainsoft Classic Apollo water softener. The resin tank is maybe 9"x36" and is mounted inside a plastic enclosure that serves as the brine tank. The unit was only used perhaps three years in total (across two homes) and has been out of service for 15+ years. The brine tank is bone dry, but the resin tank has water in it.

Is this water softener able to be put back online or should I just start over?

I foolishly thought that my resin tank was empty as my bypass valve was left in service mode, so without looking into things enough purchased a 64k Fleck 7000 with SST-60 resin that was just delivered today. When moving the new resin tank into its potential new home, I was surprised to see how light it was. It was then that I realized how heavy my Rainsoft tank was (of course resin is actually IN my Rainsoft resin tank), but really that I could hear water sloshing around in it when I moved it.

The true questions are:
1. Is my Rainsoft unit 'shot'?
2. Given that I have a five bedroom house with five people AND operate a business out of home with up to four MORE people in it intra-day each day, is my Rainsoft unit just too small anyway and I should embrace the new system?
3. With the new system, I ordered the 1.25" sweat connection to ensure 'maximum' flow, but see that the plastic valving internals appear to be only maybe 3/4". I have a pretty elaborate setup where the water comes into the house. My 'main' is oversized at 2" with a four different 1" manifolds (a hot and cold for the basement and main level and another hot and cold for the top level, not to mention a separate 1" manifold for filtered drinking water and yet another for outside hose bibs), but the 2" pipe size was to ensure limited pressure loss for the 40' rise and 850' run from the meter. The tap itself at the street is only 5/8". Usage is 4000 to at most 5000 gallons/mo. Does using the 1.25" sweat connection to tap into the 2" main make any sense at all or would I be at the same place using the much easier 1" NPT connection option?

Any and all thoughts greatly appreciated!

Reach4

Reaction score
Your old unit is not big enough for the job.

The new one may or may not be. It is not going to be limited by the 7000SXT controller, but it may by the 13 GPM SFR of your 2 cuft softener. See http://www.qualitywaterassociates.com/softeners/sizingchart.htm Then you want to know the water hardness to do further calculations.

Clearly the new unit is going to be the much better unit, having maybe 3x (2.67 probably) the capacity of the old cabinet unit.

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Honestly, the 1.05" internal manifold system of the 7000 is fine, but it should have come with a 32 mm (1-1/4") manifold. The 1.05" saves the company that sold it to you a few dollars.

The actual flow difference is probably less than 1 gpm, it is more of a velocity issue, I will try to post a velocity (FPS) chart later today.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks