new fleck 5600sxt with periodic red water

Users who are viewing this thread

kevincw01

Reaction score
Just bought a new fleck 5600sxt. I installed in on sunday and the installation instruction say to expect the first 40-50 gallons will be light red and then it will run clear. It did this and ran clear as expected. The water is soft as expected. However, whenever I use a faucet after being gone for 6-10 hours, I still get the light red water for 30 seconds before it runs clear. I noticed that the color is very similar to the color of the resin media. I have quadruple checked my plumbing connections as I know this is a common mistake but the arrows on the yoke match up e.g. main goes to input, house goes to output.

I also noticed another person on this forum had a very similar problem that was resolved by replacing the media but that was on an old softener that had sat in bypass for a long time. Only thing I can think of is that maybe the reseller sold me a softener with old dried out resin? ofcourse they're not answering my calls or emails.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Assmuing there was no treatment prior to installing this softener, it's possible there's just residual iron in the plumbing. What kind of plumbing is it, how old, etc.? Maybe chlorination or other iron-removal solution of the entire house will clean it up.

kevincw01

Reaction score
Assmuing there was no treatment prior to installing this softener, it's possible there's just residual iron in the plumbing. What kind of plumbing is it, how old, etc.? Maybe chlorination or other iron-removal solution of the entire house will clean it up.

All copper plumbing. House built in the 80s. If I run an iron test will that help diagnose? It does seem to be tapering off. First couple days I'd see it when I wake up and when I get back from work. Now it's just when I get back from work. I haven't installed any sediment filters yet because I wanted to see the impact to the pressure...would that make a difference?

kevincw01

Reaction score
Just got a call from reseller. They said they had another customer who ordered at the same time and has the same issue and he's thinking the manufacturer may have had a bad batch. He was really helpful actually. He's sending new media out and wants me to try a 2nd regen.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks