New Faucet Drips After Shut Off

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Sacci, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Sacci

Sacci New Member

We recently had our very old stems and faucets replaced in our bathtub. We have a separate handle for hot and cold. The first thing I noticed is that the new handles don't turn half as far as our old handles, not sure if this is standard in new faucet handles?

The problem we are having is that after turning off the water, the faucet drips for about two minutes. It drips harder and longer after turning off if the shower was used. As I indicated, the drip does stop after a few minutes, but can anyone tell me how to stop this from happening. Thank you!
  2. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

As long as it eventually stops the valve is working correctly. The dripping is water that is contained in the valve body, piping, and showerhead...

Gravity says it must drain out!

Do not gorrilla the valve handles expecting it to stop sooner. This will only storten the life of your washers in the valve!