New Exterior Doors Leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just installed 3 exterior doors that I purchased at a Lowes. The door is very well sealed all the way around except for the bottom of the door.

I'm assuming I just need to thicken up the weather stripping to get the air to stop coming in.

Any pointers before I head to the big box store to pick up some weather stripping?

Thanks

Tom

AZ Contractor

In the Trades
Reaction score
Get a door sweep that goes on the bottom of the door with rubber ribs that hit the threshold.

Last edited:

AZ Contractor

In the Trades
Reaction score
The doors also come with peel and stick weatherstripping that goes just behind the weatherstripping on the side jambs just above the threshold. Did you put them in?

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I didn't see any of those peel and stick weather stripping. I'm going to call Lowes and get the number to the manufacturer and see if they'll send them along.

Thanks

Tom

AZ Contractor

In the Trades
Reaction score
I vaguely remember an incident I had with Lowes about that weatherstripping. I can't remember exactly what it was but I think the doors I purchased didn't come with them and I went back to buy a set and they didn't sell them. I told the sales rep what the deal was and he grabbed a set off another door that was up for sale there and let me have them. That probably stiffed the next guy.

edrake

Reaction score
did you try to unscrew the threshold if applicable?

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Edrake,

That turned out to be exaclty it. The doors have adjustable thresholds that needed to be turned up. Now the door makes that really sweet squish sound when it closes indicating an air tight seal.

Tom

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks