New Expansion tank installation....necessary ?

Users who are viewing this thread

rcatty

Reaction score
I have a well, and just installed 2 new hot water tanks (50 gallon each). The system, besides being on a well, has a hot water recirculating line, with a grundfos pump, and a checkvalve (on the recirc line only).

My cold water line, traced back to the well, has a main shut off valve, wiring for the well pump, and a "dial/degree" shut off valve where the water line enters the house. I see no checkvalves or other items in the line.

Do I need to install a thermal expansion tank ? If so, the manufacturer instructions all indicate that the tank should be placed between the tank shut off valve and the tank itself. However, my shut off valve is located only about 5-6 inches from the tank. That leaves me a narrow spot to install the tank. Indeed, that area of the cold water inlet line often gets warm from the heat of the tank. Is it safe to install the tank at that spot? I can cut into that 3/4 inch pipe, place a tee, and extend a pipe out, and put a 90 degree with a female end and strap to the ceiling.

Is it safe to install a thermal expansion that close to the top of the tank itself? Thank you

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
This OP has some nice descriptions of their setup. It is obvious there is some thermal expansion by the cold inlet being warm but they should consult their county code. Ours requires expansion tanks even without PRV's or checks in place. :confused:

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
This OP has some nice descriptions of their setup. It is obvious there is some thermal expansion by the cold inlet being warm but they should consult their county code. Ours requires expansion tanks even without PRV's or checks in place. :confused:

Ours is going to start to require it. It mainly due to many villages putting in new meter yokes with built in duel checks. So they want the water heaters to already have the proper protection.

rcatty

Reaction score
Each tank needs an expansion tank? They are in parallel. How close can they be placed to the tank? I only have about 5 inches between the shut off valves and each tank.

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
Each tank must have an expansion tank, if you ever close that ball before the tank (otherwise the water will either puke out of the TNP valve from thermal expansion or may damage the tank during cool down). As it is, if you never shut the valve off before this tank (unless to replace the hot water heater) you really don't need an expansion tank (unless your code insists upon it). The reason being that the large diaphram tank for the well is acting as an expansion tank for both water heaters and accommodates any thermal expansion and contraction from the hot water heaters.

rcatty

Reaction score
What is the function of that large tank for the well. Is well water stored there for later use? Would you still recommend an expansion tank? If so, is it ok to place it about 2-3 inches above the inlet valve from the hot water tank ? Thank you.

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
The water tank is a resevoir that allows you to store pressurized water in your home and prevents short cycling of the well pump. There is no harm installing a small pressure tank. My experience in our area is that most homes on a well do not have the small expansion tank since the larger well tank is performing the same purpose.

rcatty

Reaction score
Thank you for your answer. Assuming I were to put a tank in, can it be as close as 2-3 inches from the cold water inlet valve? Thank you, again.

rcatty

Reaction score
Ok, thank you. Finally, do I need a pressure relief valve, and pressure gauge on the tank lines? Or can I use the pressure reading on the well pump apparatus? Thank you.

rcatty

Reaction score
The Illinois Code only requires an expansion tank on closed systems.

I don't see any check-valves on the line running back to the large tank. Is there anything I need to look for? Or, on well systems do they never put a check-valve before the large well tank?

Thank you

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Many pumps have a check valve in them at the bottom of the well. It is not recommended to have more than one, but people sometimes do that if the one in the well fails and they don't want to pull the pump to fix it (that doesn't always work, either). If you install an expansion tank for the WH, it can go anywhere on the cold inlet line between the shutoff valve and the tank. You can run the outlet of the T a ways to make installation of the tank easier, but the T must be between the inlet and the valve.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
The Illinois Code only requires an expansion tank on closed systems.

I don't see any check-valves on the line running back to the large tank. Is there anything I need to look for? Or, on well systems do they never put a check-valve before the large well tank?

Thank you

Most well pumps will have a check valve at the pump. Illinois is going to start to require them no matter what. Yes at this point in time it is only required to be installed on a closed system.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
expansion

Your well's storage tank is a "large" expansion tank and will perform exactly the same function as an expansion tank at the heater, except when the water supply is off to the heater and the water is being heated, which is not a normal situation and will seldom happen anyway in the normal course fo events.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
HJ...... finally got it right

Your well's storage tank is a "large" expansion tank and will perform exactly the same function as an expansion tank at the heater, except when the water supply is off to the heater and the water is being heated, which is not a normal situation and will seldom happen anyway in the normal course fo events.

You dont need an expansion tank on a well,
as HJ already stated it is not necessary because you already
have a huge well bladder that is doing the same exact job for you

considering that most wells are normally around 50-60 lbs,
the water pressure will never rise high enough on a well to ever
cause the pressure relief valves to ever pop off in the first place
It simply CANNOT pop off because you have the well tank as a huge back up...........

so just save your money ,
or better yet take the wife out to dinner with it.
(dont tell her why)..

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks