New Eljer air bath tub - quick question about setting correctly

Users who are viewing this thread

Andrewjoseph

Reaction score
Hello,
I have looked at this forum for years, and have always found what I need and more. I was planning on setting a new acrylic air tub from Eljer tonight into mortar, which I learned about on the forum.

When I unboxed the tub, the bottom was much different than I expected. There are two strips of 1/2' plywood attached to the bottom of the tub with fiberglass. They are imbedded into the tub. There are also four styrofoam legs on the corners which are also glued into the plywood.

I have attached a photo. Do I still set the tub into mortar with the plywood base and feet, or does this arrangement require a mortar bed?

Instructions say mortar bed, but they are very generic and for over a dozen models. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20170405_172033966.jpg
    IMG_20170405_172033966.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 277

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If this tub drops into a deck, then odds are it will be impossible to determine the exact height for the foam pads.
Dropping a few piles of mortar that can conform by squishing out and away and then hardens is the perfect method for that.

If it's a tub with an apron, that changes things a bit. Either the styrofoam pads are enough, or the the mortar under the plywood may be good.

Mortar bed? Smoothing it out has never worked for me. There is no good way to be perfect that way. It has to have a way to fit to what is there. Some space around to allow that does work. That's why the piles.

Andrewjoseph

Reaction score
If this tub drops into a deck, then odds are it will be impossible to determine the exact height for the foam pads.
Dropping a few piles of mortar that can conform by squishing out and away and then hardens is the perfect method for that.

If it's a tub with an apron, that changes things a bit. Either the styrofoam pads are enough, or the the mortar under the plywood may be good.

Mortar bed? Smoothing it out has never worked for me. There is no good way to be perfect that way. It has to have a way to fit to what is there. Some space around to allow that does work. That's why the piles.

Thank you very much for the response - I appreciate it!!

I should have just said mortar, not mortar bed. I will go ahead and drop into the mortar piles. thank you!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks