New Electric Hot Water Heater

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Robert Ragaini, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Robert Ragaini

Robert Ragaini New Member

I have to replace a 30 gallon electric hot water heater which is under the kitchen counter. I only use the (vacation) apartment a couple of weeks every three months or so. Can I unscrew the fuses so that the new heater doesn't continually heat the water and turn them back on when I'm there? Will that lengthen the life of the heater? I'd appreciate recommendations about what I should buy.
    Thanks,
    Bob
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

heater

IT should lengthen the life of the heating elements, but whether it helps the tank or not is problematical. The stagnant water sitting in the tank for long periods of time might cause a rusting condition under certain circumstances.
  3. Robert Ragaini

Robert Ragaini New Member

Heater

Thanks. The water will remain stagnant when I'm not using the heater whether I turn off the fuses off or not, right? So I might as well turn them off when I'm not there? Or is it possible to drain the water out? What brands of 30 gallon electric heater do you like? Do you know anything about the 40 gallon stand alone units? They are about the height of a kitchen countertop and look kind of like a washing machine.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

heater

Unfortunately, draining the water and allowing the tank to sit with moist air in it may be even worse than the stagnant water. Just turn off the power and walk away. I am surprised you can find a cabinet heater. They are usually special order, and very expensive because of the limited demand for them. Other than that there is no reason not to use one.
  5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

This may not help, but I offer it for conversation...before you leave, turn th eheater up all the way and leave it for a few hours...it may be high enough to kill any bacteria and slime. Then turn it off.