New Drake Toilet Clogged

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by SAS, Apr 15, 2014.

1. SAS

SAS Member

This past weekend I installed a new Drake toilet in the master bath. This is the fourth Drake toilet I've installed, and everything seemed to go just fine. It's been in use since Saturday afternoon with no issues at all. Today at work I got a call from my wife that it was completely clogged. We never had one of these clog and the older ones have been in service for at least 5 years! There was no "unusual" use and no kids to throw anything strange into the bowl. It flushed fine earlier this morning and then suddenly it's not flushing at all.

I figure I'll try plunging it when I get home, and if that doesn't work, I guess I'll have to buy a snake. Is there any possibility that the clog is related to the installation? Why would it clog without someone using a ton of paper or throwing in a foreign object?
  2. Reach4

Reach4 Active Member

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  3. SAS

SAS Member

My wife did try the hot water and some dish soap, but it did't help. When I got home, it only took a minute or two to clear the clog with a plunger. As the father of 4 (all of whom are now grown) I have had plenty of experience with plungers. I'm just surprised that it clogged. As I said before, we never clogged the Drakes in our old house, and my wife is not one to overdo it with the toilet paper.
  4. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

No way to prove anything, but I would suspect that something got into the toilet that lodged in the trap way. Even a huge amount of TP isn't going to clog a Toto. Glad the problem was quickly and easily solved anyway.
  5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

It's rare, but I've found that if things are a bit harder than my normal, and they land just so, very rarely, they'll wedge themselves in place. If they sit in the water for a bit, it will flush down without help, but if you try immediately, they may need help. By far, everything normally just 'goes' the first time. I think this may happen with any toilet, and if it happens a lot, even the Toto may not be sufficient - you may need something like a Caroma, with its huge trapway (but it has other issues).