New drain for water softener

Users who are viewing this thread

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Rough-in for water softener?

I am planning a basement rough-in that will eventually have a water softener. I'm wondering what common practice is for a drain?

I was thinking of putting in a trapped and vented standpipe identical to one that would normally be used for a washing machine. Is this overkill or would a floor drain be more practical?

Last edited:

DX

General Contractor
Reaction score
I assume you mean the drain for the water softener.

Both of your suggestions will work. What we most commonly see is either floor drains or a connection to the tail piece of the nearest laundry or other sink, above the trap. The tail piece is a plastic pipe with a side Y connection.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Thank you both for responding. I was pretty sure a standpipe would be the best solution for a softener drain, but it's good to hear it from others.

The softener will be at the service entrance where there are no other fixtures so it will need a dedicated drain.

Thanks again!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
softener drain

Not always the best idea. If the softener operates often enough to keep the trap filled you will not get any odors, but if you were to shut it down for a period the trap would dry out. A better way is to hang it over the washing machine trap, or insert a Y and 45 into the standpipe with a secondary standpipe for the softener.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks