New drain for water softener

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by cacher_chick, Dec 20, 2009.

1. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

Rough-in for water softener?

I am planning a basement rough-in that will eventually have a water softener. I'm wondering what common practice is for a drain?

I was thinking of putting in a trapped and vented standpipe identical to one that would normally be used for a washing machine. Is this overkill or would a floor drain be more practical?
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  2. dx

dx General Contractor

I assume you mean the drain for the water softener.

Both of your suggestions will work. What we most commonly see is either floor drains or a connection to the tail piece of the nearest laundry or other sink, above the trap. The tail piece is a plastic pipe with a side Y connection.
  3. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

If you do a stand pipe and vented trap you will be doing it the right way.
  4. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

Thank you both for responding. I was pretty sure a standpipe would be the best solution for a softener drain, but it's good to hear it from others.

The softener will be at the service entrance where there are no other fixtures so it will need a dedicated drain.

Thanks again!
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

softener drain

Not always the best idea. If the softener operates often enough to keep the trap filled you will not get any odors, but if you were to shut it down for a period the trap would dry out. A better way is to hang it over the washing machine trap, or insert a Y and 45 into the standpipe with a secondary standpipe for the softener.