new dishwasher not draining?

Users who are viewing this thread

Eric28805

Homeowner
Reaction score
I just got a new Bosch dishwasher (SHE68R55UC) and had it installed by plumbers. We've done two loads and both times there was water standing afterwards. Where should I look for the problem?
water.jpgdrain.jpgdisposal.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can make sure the "knock out" on the disposal is open.

Sometimes the inlet for the dishwasher isn't broken out on the disposer.

sink_dw.jpg

Eric28805

Homeowner
Reaction score
I should have added that this new one replaced an old Whirlpool that had worked for years until a few days ago. The drain line looks just like the old one did.

Eric28805

Homeowner
Reaction score
I checked the filter system and didn't find anything. I think I took approx 2-3 gallons of water out to get to it.

Rexles

Reaction score
Maybe the drain is kinked behind the dishwasher where you can't see it. Pull off the kick panel on the bottom of the dishwasher and see if you can see anthing kinked.

Eric28805

Homeowner
Reaction score
Thanks. I just tried that. It wasn't easy, but I got the kick panel mostly off and the drain is partially hidden by plastic, so I couldn't see much (and couldn't see any kinks).

I tried a third load on one of the faster cycles and it didn't drain either.

I'm starting to wonder if I should call those plumbers back or bring someone else in.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I think most plumbers would be willing to come and double check their work when there is such a problem.

You might have gotten a faulty dishwasher.

Last edited:

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
That unit comes with a 92" drain hose. from the pic it look like its right beside the sink. You cant readily look under the bosch unit by taking off the front cover.

I'm betting the hose is kinked or its defective.

Did the plumber run the unit for a few minutes then cancel/drain it while he was there? If not then he deserves to come back and check and see if the drain is kinked at no charge. Checking your work is part of any job.

Eric28805

Homeowner
Reaction score
It was the drain hose. It was on backwards and would only go one way. It's like there's a check valve, but we couldn't find it ... Really weird and the plumbers said they'd never seen it before.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Interesting. Is the check valve in that red thing in your photo? I've never encountered one in a DW drain hose, so I would be
interested in seeing a photo of yours. Too bad so many plumbers consider it beneath them to so much as glance
at the available Installation Instructions.

Eric28805

Homeowner
Reaction score
It's easy to get pictures because the plumber cut it off to look at it (after decided that a different hose would fit better).
valve.jpgopenvalve.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks